Chapter 33

Duran had neglected to ask where Fanner was working these days, but he wasn't worried. If there was one thing every single person would know, it was where to find the person who could save their life in an emergency.

Libby ended up being the first person he came across, leaving The Spire just as he passed it. She stopped and gave him a sunny smile, her cheeks dimpling. "Good morning, Duran."

"Good morning," Duran said. "I was going to be surprised that you remembered my name, but then I remembered you can read my mind."

"You know, that's not actually that helpful for names. Most people don't think about their own name very often, and I can't just go riffling around in your head and find whatever I want."

"Well, then I'm flattered that I was memorable, I suppose," Duran said. "Can you point me towards where Fanner is working these days?"

"I'll walk you down myself. I was heading by that way anyway," Libby said as she started walking down the road that led from the base of The Spire towards the town. "How was your adventure?"

"More eventful than you'd think for less than a week away," Duran said, skimming over events in his mind — and trying to avoid thinking about the more salacious moments — to try to give her an overview of what had happened more quickly than he possibly could have with words.

Libby smiled as she watched Duran's face. "This world is beautiful, isn't it? I've been alive longer than anyone has a right to, and there's still so much wonder and discovery. I'll have to make time to meet with your new friends. They seem like an interesting group. And Skye! Nim and I aren't close, but of course I was aware of him and his story. I'm so happy he finally found what he's been searching for this whole time."

"Yeah. I thought this was just going to be a bit of fun and space to clear my head, but the whole thing ended up being really important."

"But you did clear your head as well, and that's also important."

"Well, it was important to me, anyway. I don't think my self esteem is that great, but I have to be me for the rest of my life regardless, so I'm going to take care of myself."

"Hm, I like that," Libby said, offering Duran another smile. "Anyway! Here we are."

The small, single story building they'd stopped in front of looked no more notable than any other. In the splendorous shadow of The Spire, the simple wooden structures that made up the small town seemed rather underwhelming. There was a certain appeal to that, though—a sense of homeliness.

"Thanks," Duran said. "I'll put in a good word for you if you ever need a healer."

"Oh, I'm counting on it!" She gave Duran a wave. "Bye!"

The door creaked on its hinges as Duran pushed it open and stepped inside, startling Fanner out of Yore's arms. They'd been standing in the middle of the room, hugging one another. They were such a disgustingly cute couple. Duran was happy for Fanner, but he couldn't imagine wanting that for himself. He honestly wasn't sure what the difference between a healthy relationship and codependence even was.

"Sorry," Duran said. "Bad time?"

"No, no!" Fanner insisted as he stepped away from Yore. "I just wasn't expecting you so soon. I know I might have made the situation sound urgent, but you can take a day off to rest if you want to. We can manage for another day, I'm sure."

"I'm fine," Duran said. "I'd rather just get stuck into things, honestly, especially since I don't even know where I live right now. That makes going home to rest a little difficult."