Chapter 5

The second Duran awoke, he was confronted with more sensory input than his brain could process. Something cold and clammy was repeatedly slapping against his cheek and his clothes were soaking wet. The surface he was laying on was hard, uneven, and jabbing into him in places. When he opened his eyes, they were assaulted by bright sunlight. Cookie gave his cheek one last slap and then retreated.

Duran was laying on a huge pile of sticks in the middle of a sparse forest. Hamish was next to him, stripped down to his underwear, still not awake. Duran's body resisted the cold, so it hadn't been immediately apparent to him, but Hamish's breath was fogging with every exhale and his fingers had started to go blue.

Duran shook him, and Hamish came awake with a start, bringing his arms up to hug himself.

He made a confused sound when he noticed the sticks. "What the fuck?"

Slone was laying face down on the ground a short distance away, naked. Duran clambered down from the pile of sticks and reached him as he was stirring awake. Hamish and Slone's wet clothes were on the ground nearby, along with their bags.

Duran returned to Hamish, who had hunched in on himself, shaking hard. Duran stripped out of his damp clothes and hugged Hamish, pushing heat through both of their bodies. Slone wrapped one of the sleeping bags around them and joined the hug.

"It's so fucking cold," Hamish said, still shivering so intensely he seemed to have a hard time getting the words out. "Where's the cabin? Was there ever really a cabin? Was it just some weird trick and we were actually sleeping on a pile of sticks the whole time?"

"Well, we ain't where we were," Slone said. "Don't know where we are now, but the trees are different. All our stuff's here, at least."

"Wherever 'here' is," Duran said. "Kit. Any insights?"

Cookie wandered over and started pulling sticks out of the pile. They watched as she painstakingly used them to spell out the word 'NO'.

"At least I still have all my toes." Hamish drew in a breath through his teeth. "I think, anyway. Can't feel them."

"Those things," Duran said. "Do you think they sent us somewhere else? I'm sure you've both heard about how I ended up with Fanner. What that cat did."

"Mm," Slone said. "Don't get this cold anywhere you could get to in normal ways in one night. Seems like they might've done."

"Why, though?"

"Hard to know why somethin' like that does what it does," Slone said. "Could be that they've been knocking about since the war and their way of making life hard for the humans was just sending 'em places."

"So we could be anywhere," Duran said. "They might have sent us to the other side of the world."

"Coulda done, maybe." Slone climbed out from under the sleeping bag and wrapped it securely back around Duran and Hamish. "Stay here and warm Hamish up. I'm gonna go find high ground and see what I can see."

"Okay. Don't go too far."

Hamish tucked his face in against Duran's neck as Slone shifted and ran off. "I'm very glad you're here."

"But are you glad you're here?"

Hamish let out a quiet, unsteady laugh. "You know what's fucked up? I kind of am. Like when you're little and there's a big storm and your parents are worried about the house, but you're just excited to see what happens. Maybe that's dumb, because whatever's going on is very much something I'll have to deal with, but hey, whether I'm upset about it or excited isn't going to change what's happening."

"We did come out here for adventure, I guess."

"Are you having regrets?"

"I'll get back to you on that one after we figure out where we are."

"Mh," Hamish said as he snuggled in closer. "You know, you're really not like other Companions I've met."

"Thanks for noticing. I guess I've always seen through the whole thing, to a degree. It also helps that for the first few years I was with my master, he wanted me to be dominant. I've practised being assertive."

"So this is an act?"

"No, this is me, but can you imagine if I'd actually spent my whole life being forced to be a meek, obedient slave and then pulled this much attitude out at the first chance I got?" Duran smiled and shook his head. "He was always the one who held the real power, of course, but he liked it when I was bold and confident. At first, anyway."

"Ah. I guess that makes sense." Hamish drew a deep breath in and then let it out. "Okay, I suppose I should get dressed. Do you mind bringing my bag over so I don't have to expose my naked body to the unreasonably cold air?"

"Sure."

Duran got up and quickly dressed in some dry clothes from his own bag before bringing Hamish's bag over and tucking back in next to him under the sleeping bag to continue keeping him warm.

"I didn't bring warm clothes, but it's still morning so it should warm up a bit yet, and getting moving should help," Hamish said as he pulled a shirt on and began doing the buttons up. "The bad thing about travelling in mixed company is that sometimes you're the weak link, but I guess that's also the good thing about it. Might feel bad, but I'd be a lot colder right now if I'd been travelling with other humans."

"You'll make up for it if it comes to a fight, I'm sure," Duran said. "Or... I hope so. I don't know how well I could defend myself."

"I'll protect you," Hamish said as he attempted to wrestle his legs into his pants without leaving their warm little nest. "I promise."

"Would you risk your life for me?"

"Mmhm."

"And yet you won't even let me suck your dick. Interesting."

Hamish shot him a grin. "Maybe if you ask nicely."

Duran scoffed. "No, I know this trap. You wouldn't like me when I ask nicely. Being sweet was the first thing I tried."

"Mm. It didn't suit you. I could tell you weren't being sincere."

"I mean, I sincerely wanted you to fuck me. Isn't that enough?"

"Maybe it is. Unfortunately, I just put all these clothes on and I think I hear Slone coming back."

Slone was indeed dashing back towards them. He stopped in front of them and immediately shifted. He looked unsettled. "Ah... I think you're gonna need to see this one for yourselves."

"Let me put on my boots," Hamish said.