ᑕᕼᗩᑭTEᖇ ϩ

I hurry through the halls to meet Stina and Maruca by Stina's locker. We planned to go directly to Sterling Gables, but my dad called and told me to pick up some medication for my mom from Slurps and Burps.

I need to tell my friends I'll meet them at Stina's house, but Maruca lost her Imparter and Stina never answers. So my only option is to run and tell them before they think I ditched them.

I pass by Sophie who's standing alone by her open locker. I stop, wave, and say, "Hi, Sophie."

She glances my way before looking at her locker. It looks like she's reading something. "Oh, hey," she says distractedly.

Tapping my foot, I wait for any more acknowledgement but it doesn't come. Sighing, I walk away to where Maruca and Stina are waiting.

"Finally!" Stina exasperates. "We've been waiting forever."

"School got out two minutes ago," I point out. She rolls her eyes. "I have to stop by Slurps and Burps, but I'll see you soon."

They say bye before leaping away with Stina's home crystal. I go to the Leapmaster 1000 and join the short line. A little ways to the left of the line, I see Sophie join a group of people who I realize are her friends. I resist the urge to yell at her and burn her hair ever so slightly for ignoring me.

Sophie's expression looks serious and, after she says whatever she needed to say, the faces of her friends show a range of emotions from serious to concerned to worried. They start to walk over and I'm about to ask them what's happening, when I hear Biana say, "Let's talk to Forkle and then get Marella and Maruca for the mission."

Dex adds, "And Stina. The Council will force us to take her with us because of Team Valiant."

Their conversation trails off to how annoying Stina is, which she can be, but I'm stuck on the part where they said to "get" me and Maruca for the mission. I understand that we're needed, but literally minutes ago Sophie barely remembered I existed and now she needs us for a mission? She hasn't even bothered to tell us what is happening.

My turn to use the Leapmaster comes and I call out "Mysterium!" before being whisked away by the light.

My concentration shifts to keeping my body together, but at the back of my mind, I can't help thinking about how much I hate Sophie.

---

word count: 403