Demigods & Magicians - Part One (Percy & Carter)

Start from the beginning

The mystery boy raised his khopesh just in time to deflect the blow and manage to keep his head with how strong and quick Percy was. The boy could tell quite quickly that he was outmatched. Percy had a lighter blade, and he was a better swordsman.

And while the boy had trouble speaking, needing all his concentration to stay alive, Percy didn't have that problem. As Cressida would say, it was getting him to shut up that's the trick. Man, he loved her.

"Now I get it," he said as he swung at his head. "You're some kind of monster."

The boy managed to intercept the strike but he staggered back. "I'm not a monster," he managed.

The boy raised what looked like a wand as the air between the two of them flashed and crackled as Percy stumbled back. Blue sparks popped around him as Percy's eyes flashed purple for a split second as Cressida's magic kept his mind safe as it sensed magic trying to harm him (it was safe to say that she had layered magic and poured a lot of her power into protecting his head from any type of magic that would change anything inside after what Hera did. He didn't know if her power could actually take on a god, but he definitely wouldn't underestimate her. Ever).

"You said the crocodile was yours!" Percy scowled, anger blazing in his eyes that turned green again. "You lost your pet, I suppose. Maybe you're a spirit from the Underworld, come through the Doors of Death?"

And he didn't give the boy a chance to answer as Percy thrust out his free hand and the river reversed course and swept him off his feet.

Percy charged again as the boy reached into his backpack.

"TAS!" he yelled just as Percy's sword cut into his wrist and Percy was knocked down. He sat waist-deep in the water as the magical rope the boy threw wrapped around his sword arm and lashed it to the side of his head. He was unable to let go of his sword, and he looked kind of dejected just sitting there.

Percy glared at the boy. "I'm really starting to hate you."

"Hate me?!" the boy protested. "I'm gushing blood here! And you started all this by calling me a half-blood!"

"Oh, please," Percy huffed as he rose unsteadily. "You can't be mortal. If you were, my sword would've passed right through you. If you're not a spirit or a monster, you've got to be a half-blood. A rogue demigod from Kronos's army, I'd guess. Though I didn't understand what those blue sparks were. If Cress's magic-"

"So, when you say half-blood...." the boy asked, and Percy tried to imitate the incredulous look his girlfriend gave him quite often - actually she gave it to him when he was trying and failing to put that crib together an hour ago.

"I meant demigod. Yeah. What did you think I meant?"

"What are you?" he demanded. "Part combat magician, part water elementalist? What nome are you with? Those purple eyes-"

Percy laughed bitterly. "Dude, I don't know what you're talking about. I don't hang out with gnomes. Satyrs, sometimes. Even Cyclopes. But not gnomes. Cress says to stay far away from gnomes if I ever run into one and she gets annoyed when I don't listen to her."

The kid just furrowed his brows as he seemed to put the pieces together that whatever Percy was, he was Greek.

"Look," the kid said. 'I'm sorry about hitting you with that fist spell. It was an accident. But the thing I don't understand ... it should have killed you. It didn't. That doesn't make sense."

Percy actually laughed a genuine sound. "Don't sound so disappointed," he said with a grin. "A lot of people, monsters, gods and everything in between have tried to kill me. Didn't stick. Cress won't let it."