11. No Regrets

Lucia watched as Hansel walked and occasionally peeked at her. She kept her head high and avoided him, with a long silence that she hoped left him unsettled.

She saw him intertwine and bend his fingers before trying to break the silence. "Ma-"

That was her signal. "Hansel, do you know why I'm disappointed in you?"

He sighed and looked back toward the path. She wasn't sure why, he may have escaped the broom but he had to know this was coming. "I broke the kitchen... "

She shook her head slowly. "That was a good guess and I appreciate the apology but that was an accident wasn't it? I'm not happy that it happened, but I was more worried about you being hurt. That's not why I'm disappointed in you. Would you like to try again?"

"...Was it because I ate Merilda's chocolates?"

She clapped loudly and watched his slumped back jerk back into a straight position. "Yes, that's exactly why. You knew that those were bought by and belonged to someone else, yet you took them anyway. Do you know what that's called?"

"...Being naughty?"

He wasn't wrong, but she couldn't deny everyone had a small hint of malice to them. No one was perfect. "Taking something that doesn't belong to you is called stealing."

"I didn't steal!" He frowned.

She pursed her lips. "You strategically scaled the kitchen to take and eat something that you know was bought by someone else." He looked back at her. He looked frustrated, or at least he was trying to. She knew the face he made when he didn't want to admit he was wrong. He could pout all he wanted. This discipline was light because of the time restraints. "Do you disagree?"

"No..."

"Okay then." She stopped in the path to meet his gaze. "Now do you know why I've never taken you to the marketplace?"

"Why?"

"The vendors aren't fond of those who aren't as wealthy because they have a reputation for stealing. They think we're a danger to have there because we're more likely to be thieves. Your father may enjoy giving out slurs and insulting those higher up, but this is one of those times where you're proving them right to distrust us."

The slightly bitter look washed away from her son's face at this revelation. She gave him time to process the thought before she kept going. His face looked void now. He faced the ground and shoved his hands in his pocket.

She pulled out the pouch of coins from her pocket. "Do you know something even sadder? Next week, it'll be the seventeenth of September. Someone very special was born that day. I had been saving this money up to buy him professionally made thinly iced blue-tipped crème filled milk chocolate truffles. His favorite, you know. I had also been planning a celebration in the woods, but since he couldn't wait and stole Merilda's truffles now that same money has to go to buying replacements for her."

She paused for a moment before she added "Can you promise me you'll never steal again? I know it was only some chocolates but no one wakes up and decides they want to be a thief on the run from officials. It starts small and grows the more it's done."

He looked up at her and nodded. "I promise."

***

After a while music began to emerge, along with a distorted combination of chatter. She was used to the scents, the overwhelming assortments of dishes, crafts, clothes, and even bizarre items among the masses of people. She knew Hansel wasn't. She looked over to see him with his shoulders heightened, and his face scrunched up. "It's really loud."