Chapter Fourteen-Matters of Revenge

Mary was gone. She had vanished as quickly as she disappeared. Though every Brazil werewolf that was able searched no one could find her. I stood at the window scanning the forest expecting her to appear again. My heart was ravaged. Both guilt and anger swamped me as I searched the area. The woman rightfully viewed me as the reason the one she loved was stolen. If I had never made it to the Brazil's motorhome park, Luca wouldn't have figured out that he wasn't really in love with her. Still, she shot me. She intended to kill me. I could not overlook that. I would not overlook that and when she was found, I refused to feel guilt for what would become of her.

Luca stepped beside me, his arm moved around my waist. "This is Mary's fault, not yours," he whispered pressing his lips into my hair before continuing. "Your arrival had nothing to do with me not loving her. I didn't love her when I was with her. I was infatuated with what she was offering me."

I frowned realizing he had read my mind. "What was she offering you?"

He scoffed but his face reddened. "What every young man is obsessed with," he said and then, shrugged. "I knew her body but I never really knew anything about her. Actually, I know more about her now than I ever did then."

"You mean she's unhinged?" I asked with a raised brow but his expression and his emotions made me wince. I shook my head as his guilt and shame slid through my soul. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said that."

"You had every right to," he said and then, sighed as he pinched his nose. "Garridan and Mirella should be here soon. He's going to help me find her but I don't want you alone. She will be with you until we return and Andre will arrive soon after we leave."

"You told them about Mary?" I asked as my chest tightened. I didn't want anyone in danger. I realized they would scoff at that because she was human but even though she was human, she had caused damage to me.

"I had to," he said, wincing as my thoughts slid into his mind.

I worried my lip before meeting his eyes. "Did you tell them about John?" I asked searching his eyes and hoping that he hadn't. I couldn't stand their stares full of pity. It had been hard enough during the months after witnessing that expression in my parent's eyes.

"I told them that he attacked you," he said, shifting as my worries filled his soul. "I didn't tell them about the rape. I thought that would be easier for you."

I gave him a small smile as I reached up and traced his jaw. "Thank you."

"Don't thank me yet," he said, glancing out the window. "Your enemies have increased mostly because of me. With Eva and The Grey Wolves and John and Mary out there ready to pounce on you, I am going to be protective especially since you are still mortal. You may think I'm a jerk afterwards. I hope not but it may seem like it."

I cupped his cheek, running my fingertips over his roughened jaw. "I will never think that," I whispered as he pulled me into a kiss. A knock at the door interrupted us. He groaned as he pulled away and went to the door to allow Garridan and Mirella to enter our home.

**********

Mirella stared at me in the darkened room after Luca and Garridan left to help search for Mary. Her eyes appeared black and shiny within it. Neither of us moved to turn on the lights. A storm brewed outside as grey clouds swept in bringing the wind within it. It beat against the side of the motorhome as if it wanted to beat through the metal. Mirella raised a brow as the silence stretched and then, sighed.

"So, you told him, "She said, raising her brows before a sad smile crossed her face. "I'm glad that you did. We can't walk through this world by ourselves. We need to confide in someone."