"...I should go, Genya. My mother, she expects a letter from me soon and I have yet to write one to give her any recent news. We've been exchanging correspondence... It's not quite enough when we've spent so many years in shared company but it must suffice. Thank you for reminding me... We sometimes forget about death. I certainly do. But it is important. To hold it in thought with every step of life. That way... Chances may be taken, rather than abandoned to some future or never at all."

Ixora was filled with a sudden urge to kiss Genya. It struck her as odd - not because the Tailor wasn't exquisitely attractive but because the tenderness she felt for her went beyond the kind that was merely friendly. It made her feel guilty; holding her like this and knowing that these feelings were pressing against her heart, begging to be released. And so, with the genuine excuse uttered, she detangled from Genya's fair arms and took a bow.

Genya smiled softly and nodded her head, a sparkle in her eyes as she followed her in a small rush and thanked her once again. Ixora couldn't bare to turn back, yet she froze at the doorway, forcing a piece of her fears out of her lips. "I don't know how it will be possible to leave this place behind... And all the people I have met."

"Don't. Please. We would never chase you away! You could stay, you could... Work with the Healers more or in the garden or be a member of Alina's court w-with me! There's so much to do at the palace, you'd never be bored!" She stumbled over her words, flinching when Ixora gave a slow sigh. It heaved out of her like a weak wind, making Genya dizzy with confusion. She'd forgotten, with all the news and craziness, that Ixora was not from there. She had her own home, too. But maybe things could change. They always do, don't they?

"Yes. But I have my own kingdom to look after, as you do yours. And my people..."

She thought of the devotion that would fill the eyes of all those strangers and recoiled into herself, shaking her head and sending her friend a glanceless wave before hurrying off to her chambers. Genya pouted softly, cursing at life for being so bizarre and unpredictable. When Zoya noticed her talking to herself in the hall and asked her what was wrong, she raspily replied, "if Nikolai doesn't marry Ixora, I will" and shut the door behind herself.

"...Oh. This... Might be a problem. But I do have more important things to worry about at the moment."

Alina was busy hounding Nikolai about what he'd said to the general. He was too tired to respond much and she soon realised he wasn't paying her any attention, leaving his room with one last frustrated huff and worried glance. He waited some time for Ixora who was usually rather early, rising to his feet when he realised she would not come. This would all be a lot easier if they simply shared a room. If only. She'd probably smack him over the head for even thinking about it.

"Zora...?"

His butterfly looked as tired as he felt. Moreso. She had parchment scattered about her feet, dozing off at the desk. He creeped up to her, a soft smile flooding his face with light when he noticed she'd drooled onto the one under her head. Wondering what she'd been scribbling, he picked up a few from the ground to read through but the rustling alerted Ixora, her slow blinks turning rapid once she noticed what he had in his hands.

"Nikky... I... It's not what you think. N-not truly- please... Please let me explain this, first."

His expression was unreadable but the glisten of tears in his eyes caught her notice under the moonlight. "A... A discarded draft of a letter to your mother, asking if one could feel the kind of depth of love which the poets and planets themselves describe for more than one. And a poem. Directed to someone with red hair. And this," he whispered hoarsely, snatching the one that had rested beneath her head. "This... 'I am confused. I don't understand. I feel like I must be wrong but if I am, why do I know in my heart what I am trying to deny?' I am at a loss, Ixora. Explain yourself to me."