Garden Banter

He remembers. He remembers so much... But how? I thought he'd forgotten me- he was the one who left, after all. I waited years for him to give me some inkling that he was even alive. Half of me mourned him while the other begged that the Saints would guide him home. I suppose I didn't realise, then that home didn't mean me.

Ixora cleared her throat when she heard a knock at her door, failing to wipe her tears quick enough. When Genya came in, she quickly set the tray of food down at her feet and moved to her side. She didn't understand why this stranger chose to care about her wellbeing at all.

"I thought things went well..."

"What do you mean?" Genya had continued her spying patiently beyond the door, watching from behind a pillar as Nikolai left in a hurry. But it was less his highness' quick exit as it was the cheerful calls to each other. Butterfly and bird. She wondered what the story was, there. Still, she needed a better explanation for her slip-up and luckily, the servants had given her one.

"I think someone saw him leave your room..."

"I hope you are not the type to listen to baseless rumours because truly, nothing happened- do you, oh God, do you think your Saint has heard anything? You are a confidant of Alina, yes? Could you... Find out if she knew? And it she does, please try to tell her that it was only a short visit between friends. We've known each other a long time, Nikky and I- err, perhaps do not add that part."

Genya went off with directives to spy on the camp she'd already been working for. Despite the slight discomfort, it was beginning to ebb away as she started to enjoy herself. She could now see why Alina wanted to involve herself in these two's lives... There was something there. Perhaps buried for many years but still. It was plain to the eyes. Even in the way Nikolai had taken a moment to catch his breath and preen a bit before seeing her.

In the privacy of Alina's chambers, the girls chattered excitedly about the two. Well, Genya and the Queen-to-be did. Zoya had a feeling she would have to play voice of reason before the meddlers got a little too carried away. Luckily, she had a good head on her shoulders since love was not an interest of hers. Distractions, distractions. What she felt for Kirigan had nearly destroyed her. What she needed was to make sure those lost to his cruel hand did not die in vain. To be the best Grisha teacher possible; this was the best vengeance she had left to get.

Baghra too deserved that much.

She didn't understand why the girls even had time to dream of setting two people up in such a time. They'd left one war and were now practically diving into another, couldn't they see that? Perhaps they were just desperate for a distraction. While she could see that it was one of the few things that had brought a genuine smile to either of their faces in some time, their plans were ill-fated.

"Alina. Do you not realise that you are trying to draw a connection of the romantic type between a woman from another land and your fiancé?"

"Hmm? Oh... Details. Nikolai was gracious enough to play pretend husband while Mal was by my side..." A brief silence. "He deserves to find love, Zoya. He has gone through so much since we returned to Ravka. If she can lessen that burden..."

"He is to be your husband. Is it wise to encourage him to sneak around behind your back? People are already starting to talk, you know."

"Ah, let them. Members of the monarchy have always been a strange lot. Their gossip means little moving forward. He is the tsar. Look... It doesn't even have to be romantic. Can't a man and a woman just be friends?"

"Not the way Genya describes them and how they act around each other." They both looked at each other, stifling giggles and straightened their faces once Zoya glared at them. Annoyed, she shrugged her shoulders and gave up, walking away.