Fifteen: Bears!?

"Move!" Ponyboy yelled, trying to squeeze past Two-Bit.

"No way man!" Two-Bit said, trying to wedge past Ponyboy. "I got here first."

"I'm carrying more stuff than you!" Pony tried to shove Two-Bit by slamming his shoulder into him.

"Ow!" Two scowled at Pony before returning the shove.

"Are you two actually fighting over the front door?" Dally asked. He sighed, standing behind them with a box of food. Two-Bit was carrying a tent, and Ponyboy was carrying all four bags of bedding, as well as you can carry four bags of bedding. The two were stuck in the doorframe, trying to push past one another.

"Ponyboy Micheal, you quit being a kid and move aside." Darry said. He stood by Dally. Darry was only an inch shorter than Dally, but he had an impressive build, like a professional body builder or a movie star.

Ponyboy groaned, and pulled out of the doorway. Two-Bit cheerfully carried the tent outside, and Ponyboy fumbled, dropping half the bags.

"Jeez, Pony." Dally said.

"It's not that hard." Darry said, becoming slightly annoyed with his kid brother. Pony glared at the ground as he attempted to pick up the bags. But, with two already under his arm, he wasn't having a great time.

"Here." I picked them up. "I've got them."

"Thanks." Pony said. We carried them out to Two-Bit's car, Dally following behind me with the box of food. Dally put the food in the backseat, and me and Pony dropped everything in the trunk. Two-Bit slammed it shut.

"Well, that looks like everything." Two-Bit sighed. "Boy, what a work out. Woo!" He hollered, bouncing back for the house.

That guy lives in a cartoon. I thought admirably. I looked over at Pony. He was smiling a bit, looking after Two-Bit, and I knew he was just as fond of Two. Dally was starting back for the house, grimacing in the heat of the sun.

Pony and I wondered back to the porch as well. Darry was instantly all over Pony, double checking that he had everything and reminding him to stay with the group and to be careful with fire and to check himself for ticks on the daily. Soda was looking at me, and I wondered away from the group over to him on the far side of the porch.

"Hey, Soda." I said, feeling like he had something to say.

"Be careful, Johnnycake." Soda said. He had a straight face, and I stared at him expectantly. He suddenly cracked a grin. "Keep Pony out of trouble for me, alright?"

He still had the wrong impression.

"Yeah, okay." I said. Suddenly Darry was beside me, dragging Pony by the arm.

"Did you hear?" Darry asked me. "I want Pony to share a tent with you, alright?"

"Uh, sure." I said. I figured that's how it would be anyways.

"I don't think that's a good idea." Soda was saying. Darry frowned at him.

"C'mon, nothings going to happen, it's Johnny." Darry said. He was trying to reason with him, but Soda was still convinced I had something for Ponyboy, and Darry respected me too much to expose the truth. I felt my face grow hot. They were arguing about my feelings, and Ponyboy was completely naïve.

"Don't you think putting the smallest two in a tent together is a bad idea?" Soda said, rather genuine. "Dally and Two-Bit are strong, if something happens, they should be closer to them."

Darry thought, realizing he was right. "I guess so." He looked at Ponyboy. "I want you to share a tent with Two-Bit, alright?"

"Okay, I guess. Unless Johnny wants to share a tent with Two." Pony looked at me, and I swore I could read his mind. Ponyboy personally didn't want to share a tent with Dally, there are a lot of things he dislikes about him. Despite Dally still being his good buddy, he was much more fond of Two-Bit. Two was a good friend, a little insensitive with his jokes, but still smart about it.