Three: Flannel Shirt

When me and Pony got back from the parade, Two-Bit was gone. It was just me and Pony for a while. Pony cleaned up Two-Bit's mess- he'd left a half eaten chocolate cake on the coffee table, and Pony cursed under his breath as he cleaned it up.

Pony asked me what I wanted to do, since it would probably be the two of us most of the day. I told him I was going to head out for a while, and Pony headed to his room to read a book or draw a picture. Truth be told, I needed to be alone.

I started down the street, knowing Dally or Darry wouldn't have let me walk alone if I'd they'd been around. Normally around this time, I'd be scared as a dog, walking alone. But right now, I wasn't. As I kept walking along, my mind wondered back to Dally. Dallas was full of surprises, but the way he acted this morning put me on edge. It wasn't like he had really done anything, he just had seemed distant; detached.

"Johnny?"

I looked up, and as if I'd summoned him, Dally sat on the curb of the lot. He waved me over, his face a blank canvas. I hesitated for a moment, before coming over and sitting next to him. He casually pulled a pack of cigarettes from his jacket, but he didn't meet my eyes.

"I got cigarettes, you got matches, lets make something work, man." He passed me a cigarette, and I eagerly pulled out my matches. I lit cigarette, and he lit his off of mine. I took a long drag and exhaled heavily, the cigarette already calming me.

"Thanks." I muttered. I looked up at Dally. He was staring into the ground, a lost look on his face.

"Are you... okay, Dally?" I managed to say after a moment of debating. Dally exhaled a cloud of smoke before finally looking up at me.

"I had a weird dream last night, Johnny." He said casually, though his eyes spoke a much more sincere tone.

"Okay, uh, what about?"

Dally looked away and back at the road. "You." He said dryly.

I didn't know what to say, I never thought I was important enough to Dally for that to happen. I didn't think anyone was, except for Dallas Winston himself. 

"You were all hurt man." Dally said quietly. "Kinda like what happened with the... oh, never mind."

I knew he was talking about the Socs who jumped me last month. I brought a hand to my cheek, conscious of the scar left there. I shivered a bit, though it was hot. I had goosebumps.

"It wasn't that bad, though." Dally said thoughtfully. He knew I knew what he had been about to say. "I think you were just roughed up a bit. It looked pretty bad though."

I suddenly didn't want to talk about this anymore, even if I'd hardly said four words since I sat down.

"How's Tim?" I asked in a low voice.

"I changed my mind, I never went to see Tim."

I looked over at Dally. "Where'd ya' go?" I knew he hadn't been here all along. Me and Pony woulda' seen him.

"Quit asking questions, man." Dally said, apparently back to normal. "Let's get out of here, it's hot as hell." Dally stood, and I got to my feet as well. The two of us headed back towards the Curtis boys' house.

*** *** *** ***

Over the next few days, Dally was acting strange. I figured he was having more bad dreams, but I was too scared to ask him. He spent a lot of time around, rather than going to parties or doing God-knows what else. I spent most of my time between the lot and Darry's, so he always slept wherever I was. He'd never talk to me when he did, he'd just tell me to "shut your damn eyes and don't bother me." I did just as much.

Dally woke up in the mornings sweaty, and he'd be a little out of it through-out the morning, but he usually was back to normal by noon. On June 19th, Two-Bit wouldn't shut up about his birthday. He'd been at it all week, but that day especially. I don't think Two-Bit really cared about his birthday that much, he just wanted to make sure nobody forgot. Which nobody got the chance to, so I guess he was doing well at that.

That afternoon I realized I still hadn't gotten him anything. I knew if it were Steve or Darry, they'd not even expect anything from me, but with how much noise Two-Bit was making about his birthday, it would be offensive to not get him something. I knew I didn't have much to give, so I considered what Pony said. Cigarettes were a fair gift. They weren't too much, and they weren't something that'd be useless to Two-Bit. I knew I couldn't find the courage to ask any of the boys for money or a pack of cigarettes, so I figured the only way was to head home.

I didn't want to, but I knew my old man'd be home tomorrow, and I didn't want to risk going last minute when things would almost certainly go wrong. I was getting ready to leave the Curtis house when I happened to notice it was raining. I usually wouldn't mind, but I'd been at the lot earlier that day, and I forgot to grab my jacket.

"Heading out, Johnnycakes?" Soda said, entering the living room. I nodded.

"Don't have a jacket, do ya'?"

I shook my head no.

"Here," Soda removed his flannel shirt and held it out to me. "it's not the best, but it's thick, so you should be somewhat dry and warm."

"Thanks, Soda."

I left the house and made my way home. As I approached my porch, the flannel was already pretty soaked. I snuck in quietly. My mother was passed out on the couch. I quietly made my way to the bedroom and took off Soda's flannel. I'd have to either find a new jacket, or walk back without one. I tossed the wet flannel on my bed- an undressed and beat up old mattress on the floor. The only thing I had in my room was clothes, but my denim jacket was the only jacket I had. I dug uselessly through my laundry trying to find something suitable for the weather, but all I had was T-shirts and jeans.

I decided to take a quick look around the house. There was random stuff everywhere, so I figured I could find something. I walked out of my room. There's a table behind the couch, and my mothers purse lay sprawled on it. I figured I'd look for cigarettes before she woke up. I crept up to the purse- I'm real light footed when I need to be, even in shoes. I slowly opened the flap over the bag and peered inside. Among her billfold, gum, and multiple half empty or empty packs of cigarettes, I managed to find one unopened pack of Pall Malls. I pulled it out of the bag, but as I did, her billfold fell onto the floor. It skittered on the hardwood.

I heard my mother groan from the couch, and the couch shift beneath her. I saw the top of her head rise over the back of the couch, and that was all it took. I bolted for the door, deciding to escape before she could process what was going on. I ran down the street, headed for the Curtis house. Luckily the rain had stopped, and I made it back to the Curtis house with short breath.

"Welcome back, Johnny."

Soda was sitting on the couch when I walked in.

"I told Steve about your jacket, he drove to the lot and got it for you." Soda said. "We hung it up on the line, but I don't know how fast it'll dry. Hopefully the clouds clear up."

"Oh no." I groaned. Soda looked up at me.

"What's the matter, Johnnycakes?"

"I forgot your flannel." I said miserably. I felt awful. He let me barrow his shirt and I left it on my bed a soaking mess.

"Don't sweat it." Soda said. "You can give it back to me some other time."

"Yeah, okay." I said. I looked down at the Pall Malls, still in my hands. I tossed them to Soda.

"You should hold onto those. They're my gift for Two-Bit." I said quietly. "Please."

"No problem, you can trust me." Soda said with a silly grin. "Unlike Ponyboy." He winked at me, referring Pony's smoking habit.

I smiled a little back at him.