nine

═══ CHAPTER NINE :: TRULY, MADLY, DEEPLY

Dominic Toretto walked away from the table where Vince laid, heart heavy as he tried to cope with the loss of a brother.

Julia Kim felt the same heaviness in her heart, images of her colleagues' dead bodies flashing through her mind no matter how hard she tried not to think about them.

Han hadn't left her side ever since she had her mini breakdown, his hand gently resting on her back as a way of saying he was right there with her.

"We have to move. We don't have much time," Dom announced, walking over to the platform.

"I got us a flight out," Han responded. "We can leave Rio in the rearview in five hours." He looked at the female beside him, brows furrowing when she shook her head.

Dom heaved a breath. "Not to run away," he paused, getting the crew's attention. "To finish the job," he stated, looking over at everyone.

Roman scoffed in disbelief. "It's a suicide mission. That's your man there on the table," he said, gesturing over to Vince. "The plan is busted. This is bullshit, man. Reyes knows we are coming." He stood from his place, frustrated.

"He's right." Tej agreed, nodding. "They tripled the detail at the police station. It's gonna be a wall of gunfire."

Julia zoned out as the rest of the crew tried convincing Dom to leave, knowing very well he wasn't the type to run away from a fight. Her gaze shifted towards her ex-boss, practically seeing the gears turn in his head.

Mr Hobbs is not backing away from this either.

Dom looked at the others, his voice low. "You know you are all free to make your own choices," he announced, determined to carry out the job.

Even if it meant he had to haul ass by himself.

The atmosphere within the building was emotionally-charged; everyone was silent as they considered the choices they had in their heads.

"Well, since you are practically begging me, I'm in," Julia spoke, a small smile on her face as she looked at Dom. "Just tell me what needs to be done."

A round of chuckles went around the room, wordlessly grateful for the mood lifter the youngest provided despite the somber atmosphere.

As if he had been waiting for Julia to speak first, Hobbs straightened himself, walking towards the platform.

"I'm in too. I'll ride with you, Toretto," he stated, never taking his eyes off the man. "At least until we kill that son of a bitch."

Han shoved his hands in his pockets, nudging the brunette as he did. Julia playfully glared at the male, smiling as she locked eyes with him.

"So, what's the plan, Dom?" Brian inquired, standing near Mia. "We can't just go sneaking around anymore."

Dom smiled smugly. "We don't sneak," he replied as if it was the most obvious choice. "Only thing Reyes cares about is his money. We pull that, we pull him," he explained.

Within the next half hour, Dominic Toretto came up with the new plan, and everyone dispersed around the abandoned automobile plant, getting to work to make the adjustments to their tasks.

Han Lue checked out his car for the last time before scanning the building, trying to find the brunette that did things to his heart.

"Jules is getting the plans," Mia stated, having noticed the male looking around. "She is in the backrooms."

"Oh." Han nodded slowly, unable to take another step forward with the way the woman kept looking at him. "Thank you?"

Mia cheekily grinned. "You are welcome!" The teasing gaze never faltered even as Han walked away, shaking his head to himself.

These Toretto siblings and their stares.

Han Lue followed the elder woman's words, hands in his pockets, as he walked towards the backrooms. His expertise was with cars, so he never visited this part of the building, but seeing the layout of the room, he realized this was where Julia spent most of her time preparing for the mission.

"Are you stalking me?" Han smiled upon hearing the female's voice, watching as she put down the box she was holding.

The brunet raised his brow, pretending to ponder over her question. "What if I am?" He countered, his smile never fading.

Julia rolled her eyes, her dimples clearly visible as she struggled to contain her smile. "Damn." She sighed. "You really are obsessed with me," she stated.

Han chuckled. "Actually, I just came here to remind you to do your best," he explained, resting his back against the wall. "You owe me a million dollars, you see. Plus, interest," he continued, amused at the brunette's reaction.

"Plus, interest?"

"Mhm."

Julia slowly walked forward, standing in front of Han, an incomprehensible look on her face. It never failed to surprise her how much his presence affected her, though she'd never really admit it.

She pulled on his shirt collar, minimizing the space between them. "And what exactly is the payment plan for the interest, officer?" She watched as the realization settled in, a pleasant smile grazing his face.

Of course, the police uniform. That always gets the ladies hooked.

Without wasting another second — in fear they'd be interrupted again — Han Lue did what he had been desperately wanting to do for the past few days.

He kissed her.

Han tilted his head before placing his lips on hers, capturing them in a soft kiss. Startled by the sudden action, a quiet squeal left Julia's lips, but she recovered, instinctively kissing him back.

"Fuck." The curse left his lips as they kissed, wrapping his arms around her waist to pull her closer.

Her lips were addicting in the best — yet most dangerous — way possible, and Han knew then and there he was fucked; he may have fallen for this woman.

Julia couldn't help but smile into the kiss, not realizing how much she had wanted this exact moment until it happened. Her hands rested at the nape of his neck, her fingers running through his hair mindlessly, distracted by his lips.

The butterflies, the sparks, the fireworks; gosh, the books she read and the movies she watched could never compare to feelings she felt in that moment — it was all so magical.

The two pulled away, smiles on their faces as they wordlessly expressed what they just felt.

Han's arms remained around Julia's waist, restricting her from moving away — not that she wanted to — drawing little circles with his thumbs on the small of her back.

Julia laughed, unable to suppress her smile. "Mission accomplished successfully, Han," she stated, never taking her eyes off him. "I have fallen for you." She watched as he returned her smile, his next words only making their smiles widen.

"I have fallen for you as well, Julia. Truly, madly, deeply, I have."