CHAPTER VIII: BLEEDING HEARTS

"I must be gone and live, or stay and die."

——Romeo, Romeo and Juliet ( William Shakespear) 

Rosabelle regained consciousness a few minutes later.

Her arms throbbed like they had been inside a meat grinder. The pain in her chest had subsided, leaving only a stinging feeling on her skin. She looked down at her arms and saw her long tweed sleeves soaking in blood. The pretty primrose pink color of her dress was completely ruined! She thought sadly as she rolled up her sleeves to get them away from the blood.

There were light cuts all over her arms, forming an ugly serpentine patterns, from her wrists to her upper arms. Dark bruises already formed underneath the skin that were spared.

Both her hands were badly scathed, the skin burnt where she held the handle of the mirror.

To her horror, her art nouveau floral golden ring with two demantoids and her channel new star and lady pearl bracelet were tinted with her blood.

Her precious trinkets! She really was going to cry!

Realizing that she worried about the wrong thing again, she racked her brain for the remedy for magically inflicted wounds.

The good thing about this type of wound was that they healed without any scar at all because the damage was more mental than physical.

The bad thing was that this type of wounds usually bled a lot internally and externally and currently, her head was starting to feel lighter and lighter.

She hesitated to call any of her three brothers or her father as it would be difficult to explain her injuries. They would overreact and would not allow her to live in solitude anymore.

She contemplated on calling doctor Horace. However, it would be very awkward after the hades she had unleashed at him and Madam dubois.

She forced her legs to work as she crept downstairs to the kitchen, where Spencer kept the first aid kit. Her injured hand made a clumsy mess out of the neat cupboard, knocking over vitamin bottles and stacks of elastic bandages, spilling blood all over the sink.

She cleaned her wound with Saline, no need for iodine since the wound wouldn't be infected.

After a few attempts, Compressing her wounds to stop the bleeding proved to be ineffectual.

Now she would really have to call Spencer, no Edwin, no James.

Blast the three of them. She would have to get to the hospital by herself.

She fought the cloud of dizziness and fidgeted with her mobile phone to order grabtaxi.

Her fingers felt numb and awkward. By the time she finished, her cellphone had gruesome bloody fingerprints all over the screen.

She stumbled across the hallway and miraculously made it in one piece to the front door. She blacked out a couple of times as she waited. Eventually, She saw a car parking in front of her flat and hurriedly got into the car; The basic security measures like checking the license plate and the driver's ID momentarily slipped through her blood deprived brain.

" Charing Cross Hospital, please" she told the driver.

Yet, the car didn't take off. She saw the hallucination of a man who haunted her every breath, awake or asleep staring at her from the driver seat, his golden eyes showing disbelief.

" Your grace?" Rosabelle muttered. Her hallucination looked equally alarmed and concerned. She knew then that it wasn't a simple hallucination since in all of them, he always looked cold and intimidating.