Back to Bonesborough

Start from the beginning

Eda turned to Luz and took her hands in her own.

"Luz, the thought of you somehow being alive is all that kept me going. You're the closest thing I have to a daughter. I don't know what I'd do if I lost you. So, while we're here, please be safe. I don't care if people see, but defend yourself, okay?"

Luz nodded, making Eda happily sigh and weakly smile at her.

"I'm so proud of you, Luz. I'm going to do a quick search. You scavenge what you can. We'll meet back here in a few hours and I can train you some more. If you need me, scream. I can hear a lot better in my harpy form. Okay?"

"Got it." Luz said confidently.

Eda turned back into her harpy form, gave Luz a kiss on the forehead, and flew off, making Luz's cape get blown back as she rocketed into the air. Luz watched until she couldn't see Eda anymore. Then, she started to walk.

Down the roads she knew so well from living in the Boiling Isles for over a year. Except they were suddenly unfamiliar. Rubble blocked streets. The smell of death made going inside buildings impossible to handle. Nevertheless, Luz pressed on and tried to find a building that might have something in it. Soon, she reached a very familiar area and thankfully spotted a stall she knew all too well.

"What exactly is in here?" Belos asked, "It doesn't look like any regulated stand."

"It's Morton's potion stall! He works in the day market. Makes potions. Eda always got her elixir from him." Luz explained as she pulled up the rusty window gate and clambered inside.

She rustled through the stuff that, thankfully, wasn't ransacked. Apparently not enough, if any, people that knew about Morton had checked. Luz started grabbing bottles and ingredients and shoving them in the bag Eda gave her. Once she grabbed everything that didn't look rotten, Luz closed up the backpack and climbed out, much more gracefully this time. She got back to work walking around the city.

"So Belos." Luz said, sounding curious.

"Yes, Luz?"

"You know any good places to scavenge? Like, you probably knew where people lived that had power and stuff. So are there any houses around here that might have some good stuff?"

"If you want a branding glove, just go to the local scout outpost. I doubt people will have stolen those." Belos said with a voice that sounded like if he could, he would be shrugging.

"We don't just want a branding glove. We're on a supply run. A branding glove is just an additional thing. Now, do you know a place?"

Belos paused, then moved slightly against Luz's skin that felt like he was nodding.

"672 Rotswell Drive. One of the residents was a high level scout. They made good money and, as their spouse was in the healing coven, likely have medical supplies. Considering their daughter went to Hexside, I wouldn't be surprised if they got a bit rebellious and stole a branding glove."

"Was their daughter a multi track student?" Luz asked as she scanned street signs.

"I believe so. Healing and...beast keeping? Yes, that's what Adrian reported."

"I get to see Viney's house! Wish it wasn't because I was robbing it, but hey, I'll apologize when I get back to base. Maybe I can even grab a few things for her. I don't know how much she got before going to the hideout."

Luz eventually found the street, but paused before going down. Something was off. Every house had a strange symbol painted on the door. Upon closer inspection, the realization hit Luz like a tidal wave.

A melting blue crescent moon with three triangles surrounding it.

The Titan Trappers.

They had gone from house to house, likely searched them and did who knows what else, and marked them as their territory. Luz didn't know if they had decided to stick around or just marked the houses and left. Whatever they had done, it was worth the risk. She walked down the road, scanning the house numbers. Soon, she hit what was supposed to be Viney's house. With a deep breath, she walked up to the house.