Sleeping and Waking Nightmare

Start from the beginning

He was looking a lot better than how Luz last saw him. His arm was still in a cast and he was pretty bruised up, but way better than after the fight with the Collector.

"Since Eda and I are the only ones who know you can do magic and have done magic, we figured we both could teach you! Plus, once I'm healed up I can teach you how to fight. Knowing how to do magic is great, but you should always be able to hold your own without it. For now though, I'm mostly just here for moral support."

"Now that explanations are out of the way, let's get into it."

Luz excitedly followed Eda as she led her into the center of the room and sat down.

"Alright, let's start off with you showing me the light spell again."

Luz took a breath and drew a spell circle, creating a small ball of light and letting it float in front of her, before it faded away.

"Good. As you know, magic comes from the bile sac connected to a witch's, or your, heart. Spells depend on the spell circle, so the bigger the circle, the bigger and more powerful the spell. Go ahead and do the spell again, but a bigger circle."

"Haven't you given me this lecture before? That night you told King and I about your curse?" Luz asked.

"Yes, but that was nearly two years ago. And back then, you couldn't do spells like most witches. It's never bad to reiterate."

"But I've done light multiple times now and did fire when I fought the Collector! Why can't I learn some of the cooler spells? Like the ones you and Lilith did before you split the curse? Or like Willow, Gus, Amity, and even Hunter?"

"Look kid, you learned magic your way by learning the four basic elements then combining them. So, we'll make sure you master them with the type of magic we do. After that you'll learn the glyph combos you know."

"Then I can learn cool spells?" Luz asked.

"Then we'll work your way up to them. All your friends who can do cool spells have been doing magic for more than 10 years. You've done magic with paper for 2. You need to learn the basics."

"But-"

"No buts. I'm your teacher and you need to do as I say. Heh, I sound like Lily right now, going on about basics and taking time."

Eda sadly smiled at the floor, making Luz think about the state she saw Lilith in in the medical room. Comatose and scarred, near lifeless, being monitored constantly.

Luz knew she could find a way to help everyone. She figured out a lost way to do magic. Why wouldn't she be able to undo some magic that almost no one knows how to do in the first place?

"Anyways," Eda continued, shaking off the negative thoughts, "let's get back to work. Now, as you should know from glyphs, magic is complicated and reacts on what you command it to do. So let's do that light spell some more but with different intentions for the spell."

It felt to Luz like the lesson was lasting hours. Just doing the same spell over and over with different sizes, effects, and durations. She thought magic lessons would be more...magical than this. Even her teachings weren't this boring when she taught Lilith and Eda about glyphs.

Eventually, Luz had enough and didn't even try to hide her sigh. She got up and began stretching, which somewhat confused Eda.

"Want to take a break, kid?"

"What I want is to actually have lessons that, I don't know, teach me something useful!" Luz said, sounding exasperated, "I've been watching people do magic for two years! I know the basics! If the Collector finds this place, I want to be able to do more than just flash a light at them."

"I know you're probably frustrated but you just developed the ability to do magic. You have to do the basics because you just aren't ready to do more complicated spells. You need to pace yourself so you don't hurt yourself. Or anybody else."

The last sentence made Luz's heart sink. Did Eda really think she'd hurt someone? Did she trust her that little? Or did her magic scare her, the most powerful witch on the boiling isles?

She thinks you're weak. A voice in the back of Luz's head whispered.

"I'm not weak." She mumbled.

"Luz, I never said you were weak." Eda said, sounding concerned.

But she thought it. She doesn't want to believe you're strong. She doesn't want to be dethroned from being the most powerful witch.

"Just shut up, okay?!"

Luz was shocked at herself for yelling, and from Eda's face she could tell she was too. When she glanced over to Hunter, he didn't look shocked.

He looked scared.

"I-I'm going to take a break." Luz quietly said.

She turned towards the doors and left as fast as she could. She ran down the hallway, trying to get far away. She continued running until she hit a hallway she knew led to the exit. She felt bad for yelling, but she was still frustrated Eda wouldn't teach her anything that would actually help.

She could do more. She knew it.

After looking around to make sure nobody would hear, Luz sighed and leaned against the wall.

"Belos? You there?"

Luz felt a slimy texture move along the back of her ear.

"Yes, Luz. I'm right here. Do you need something?"

"Yeah. I-I thought about your offer."

"And?"

"Yes. My answer is yes."

Luz stared out the exit, looking towards the woods and sky.

"I want you to teach me magic."