Chapter 5 (Luna's POV)

EJ came to stand next to me. Even if it had felt terrifying to show them my scars, there was a strange relief. EJ looked at me, gripping my hand gently. 

A deep swell of fraternal affection and concern washed over him. His thoughts whispered, "She's such a good kid. We'll give her all the love in the world and more. A true home." And then, quite distinctly, I felt a splintering along the fissure line in my heart as I felt overwhelmed by the pure sincerity of EJ's thoughts. 

EJ asked, his thoughts gentle and worried, "Why? Why spill blood?". I said, breathing deeply, "Because men do not fear swords. They fear monsters. They run from them. By putting one village to the stake, I spared ten more. People quake with fear because I have the power to make them afraid. Well, they don't call me the Angel of Death for nothing, now do they?". 

Fuma said, "They're wrong, Luna." I continued, ignoring him, "You don't understand. I'm a monster. Being me seems to be a problem, doesn't it? Everywhere I go, someone gets hurt. Well, clearly, I need to not be me, instead, someone better, more helpful. Someone good." 

EJ said, shaking his head, "You are good, Luna. Never doubt it." I smiled slightly and said, "I wish I could believe that." After a while, I excused myself to my room because I wanted to take a shower before we went out in the evening.

When I had showered and re-entered my room, I found K sitting on my bed, pouting and holding a kangaroo plushie. I laughed because of how cute he looked and walked over to him. K's arms were held open for me. 

I moved forward, accidentally using my wolf speed, and ended up flinging myself into K's arms. He caught me easily, steadying me on his lap. He laughed, though it didn't reach his eyes. I realized that he must feel upset. I ran my fingers through his hair gently as I'd learned that he loved when I did that. I asked, "What's wrong, love?". 

K said softly, "I'm scared for you. I don't want to lose you. I couldn't live with myself if I lost you. You don't know how it's tortured me. The thought of you, still, white, cold.... to never see you blush scarlet again, to never see that flash of intuition in your eyes when you see through my pretenses.... it would be unendurable. Just imagine if someone keeps me away from you. How would you feel then, Major?". 

He questioned, knowing I loved it when he called me Major. I said quietly, "Do not worry. I am Wang Jiali. There is no storm that I haven't seen. Did I not overcome it all?". K said sadly, "I hope that all the storms that you face in the future will all fall on me."