Three Years Later

Ever since Edward had ran away, three years prior, I had wanted him to come back more than anything. We were suppose to be the perfect family. Esme as the mother, Edward as our son, and I was suppose to be the father. Now that he was gone, everything seems blank.
I had come home early to see Esme knitting in the living room. She had missed him more than I did. All she wanted was someone to take care of a child and Edward was perfect. Why would he do this?
"Love, have you heard anything?" I asked.
"Not a single word. I miss him so much though Carlisle."
"I do too, love. I do too."
Just like every day however, we sat in the living room until dark, then we would go upstairs and wrap each other in the others embrace. This has been our routine everyday for three years now. It's times like these that I wish that I could fall asleep and dream.

As the grandfather clock rung at twelve, I sighed. Until I heard a slight knocking sound down stairs.
"Did you hear that?"
Esme just shook her head no. There it was again.
"I'll be right back Esme."
I soon got up and walked to the door. As I opened it Edward fell into my arms. He was incredibly weak. His eyes were even barely open. I could tell he hasn't eaten for a while. He must've been on the city. I looked at him and his clothes. He had a repulsive odor , but I just pushed that to the side. My son was home,and that's all that matter.
He soon looked up at me and just by staring into his eyes I could tell he was in pain.
"Daddy." He mumbled.
"Shhh. Shhh. It's alright Edward. I'm here."
I carried my son upstairs and heard water pouring. Thank god for Esme.
"Esme will you bathe him, while I get him some clothing and food?"
"Of course my love."
I gently laid Edward on the ground and undressed him. I looked away as soon as I saw all of the bruises. My poor son needed his mother and father right now. I gently picked him up and sat him in the tub.While I exited I could hear Esme reassure Edward that everything would be okay.
I entered Edwards empty room grabbing his pajamas that were on his bed. The pajamas were a pastel blue and looked like long johns but with no opening in the back. I set them on Esme and my bed.
I then went downstairs and filled a cup up with some of the blood I borrowed from the hospital. I put a straw on the cup knowing it would be easiest for Edward. As I went upstairs there was my son curled up next to Esme listening to her hum and have her fingers go through him hair. I sat down on the other side of him and rubbed circles into his back.
"Edward," I whispered.
He slowly turned and looked at me. I smiled gently.
"Hey buddy. Everything's going to be okay. How about you sit up a bit? I have something for you to eat."
I slowly helped him sit up slightly and guided the cups straw to his lips. I watched as he slowly drank the liquid. I rubbed circles into his back again. When he finished I moved the cup and had him lay back down. He laid his head on my chest and all I could do was smile.
"Rest son. You've earned it."
And he did. My little boy, even though was seventeen forever, has had a hard three years. It was easy to tell. We stayed like that for the rest of the night until the late morning.