Chapter 3

Sam made her way to her room, partly because of her mom's extreme care for her favorite son-in-law. Her mother constantly offered to bring her things or asked if she needed anything, even suggesting she stay in her room if she felt more comfortable. Sam couldn't understand why her mom didn't come to check on her situation. She was on the verge of losing control and scolding her.

Standing in front of her room now, Sam hesitated. Part of her wanted to go in, while the other part urged her to run away and leave everything behind. However, her sense of humanity compelled her to face whatever was waiting for her. With a deep breath, she decided to knock on the door.

Knock.

No answer.

Knock.

Still no answer.

Knocking again, her hand hung in the air as he finally opened the door. He appeared to be a sweaty mess. Did he exercise in her room? But she didn't have any exercise equipment in there.

"What do you want now? Why do you keep knocking on the door?" he asked rudely.

"Hmm... I lost my phone in my room, that's why," Sam replied in a low tone. His emotions changed within a second, from anger to nothing. She had thought anger suited him better. He gave her some space to enter the room. Avyan was sleeping peacefully, and she leaned in to kiss his forehead. However, Sam's eyes accidentally landed on his laptop. His laptop wasn't important, but the wallpaper caught her attention – their picture, taken by her.

In the photo, she held his cheek with her palms, mirroring his gesture. Their eyes were locked, just inches apart. It was a beautiful picture, capturing their happiness together. His eyes sparkled when he looked at her. But when it came to Sam, his gaze seemed blank. They loved each other deeply, so why did she leave?

He wasn't ready to forget her, and she wasn't ready to take her place. She was his first, always. Sam was his second. He held onto their memories, her memories. He had memories to cherish for a lifetime, but what about her? Yes, what about her? She had nothing. Nothing but heartbreak.

Sam could hardly hold back the urge to burst out. What should she do now? He was happy with her. She was broken because of her. He was living for her, while she felt like she was dying with each passing second because of her.

Tears streamed down Sam's cheeks, and she hurriedly wiped them away before he noticed. She went to retrieve her phone from the nightstand and noticed her photo frame. In the picture, she was smiling happily. Her mind couldn't contain the emotions anymore; she wanted to escape from there and everything. But she couldn't. She took her phone and noticed he had handed her some papers. Was it an agreement or something else?

"I need your signature on these papers," he said, and Sam frowned.

"For what?" she asked, raising her eyebrows.

"These are legal papers regarding our marriage, everything that'll be needed in London," he explained. Sam started going through the papers, but her eyes fell on their picture. Suddenly, tears filled her eyes. Her throat tightened, but she tried to control herself.

"After marriage, we will go back to our main branch company," he said to Sam. She looked into his eyes, but they only showed a smile. 

I hate it! I hate my decision to marry him! But only for my Avyan she think in her mind.

"Where is your main branch located?" she asked, hoping it was nearby India. However, his answer gave her a double heartbreak at the same time.

"If Vika didn't tell you where the main branch is located?" he said, and her gaze shifted to his laptop, but he immediately closed it.

Sashvika is her name. Sam and Adhi only gave that name to her.

"No," she said simply.

"London," he said casually.

Was he serious? Sam walked towards the table and took hold of the pen with her shaking hands. When she tried to look where she had to sign, her vision blurred. It was difficult for her to see clearly.

"Leave it, you can sign this later on," he said softly. But she was adamant about signing it. Finally, she signed and was leaving when he was called by her nickname.

"Sam..." She stopped in her tracks.

"Samruddhi. It's not Sam," Sam said without turning back, then left from there.

Her life seemed to be over before it even began. He was madly in love with her. Sam too, wanted someone to love her as he loved her, but deep down, Sam knew she was just his sister-in-law, and he was her brother-in-law.

"Samruddhi," someone called her name from behind. Sam wondered who it could be. It turned out to be none other than her soon-to-be mother-in-law. Sam went to greet her, and she returned the gesture.

"Samruddhi, I want to tell you something important, dear," she said nervously. Her tense expression didn't go unnoticed, so Sam offered her a reassuring hug.

"Don't be nervous, Mom. You can tell me whatever you need to," Sam said, smiling warmly at her.

"Samruddhi, you already know how much they loved each other, right?" She hesitated to continue. However, Sam already had an idea of what she was about to say.

"It's okay, Mom. They're my life, and I will take care of them until my last breath," Sam said, embracing her tightly as she burst into tears. Tears welled up in Sam's eyes too.

"Thanks, da," she said, giving me a forehead kiss, then went to her room.

But Sam didn't have the strength to hold back her emotions. Tears started to run down her cheeks. She had sacrificed all her happiness and dreams for them. She seriously didn't know how to be selfish. If she knew how to be a selfish woman, she would top the list. She wanted to be selfish, but she didn't know how. Their happiness was more important to her than her own life. As she had said many times before, it was all only for... HIM.