Chapter 17: Shared Umbrella

Start from the beginning

"Bonito flakes," he shook his head.

She stared at him, and he tried not to stare back as he kept his eyes glued to the barista.

"Thank you."

He finally looked over to her, grinning again. "Salmon."

ʚ♡⃛ɞ

Later, as the two walked the streets, several stores caught their eyes which they walked into together. They never bought anything too big, a new shirt for Kaori was all she picked out. But Toge hadn't found anything good enough for what he had been hoping for yet. A small custom-plush store caught his eye, but it wasn't what he was searching for at the time.

As they window shopped, crossed streets, got lost, and found their path again, Kaori took interest in a store she saw an advertisement for. A street away, there was a sign for a woman's apparel store. She didn't want to torture Toge into following her there, so she set off on her own.

"You might not want to go in there with me, I'll meet you around this corner, okay?" she asked, placing her hand on the streetlight pole.

The blonde tried to think very little of what that store would sell, instead nodding and waving goodbye to her for the time being. As she crossed the road and followed the signs, Toge walked further down the road, finding another store that might actually hold what he wanted to buy.

As the two shopped in their separate stores, leaving the registers with one item each, a pouring rain began to set in Tokyo.

"Sir!"

Toge turned around, looking back at the cashier who had called for him.

"Take this umbrella," he said, holding out a red bundle.

The blonde reached out to grab the offering, bowing his head as a wordless thank you. He unraveled the umbrella, preparing to step into the rain as he tucked a silky black box into his coat pocket.

Kaori tucked her bags under her arm, dashing out the door to find the corner she promised to meet her friend at. The puddles splashed under her feet, soaking her leather shoes as she continued to blindly run.

The stores in the area had no awnings in sight, so as she was unable to stop and get a break from the beating rain, she reached a crosswalk, looking around for Toge. A bright red umbrella caught her eye, and familiar clothing gave her some relief in this storm. She looked across the road, sprinting for the other side as it appeared to be clear.

"Toge!"

He turned, making a beeline towards her as he noticed she was already drenched. Her abrupt stop in front of him caused water to splash onto his pants, and she immediately apologized.

"Sorry! I really should have been faster, but now I've gotten your clothes all wet!" she whined, continuing to speak mindlessly as she rang the water out of her hair. She laughed to herself about what she was saying, but Toge didn't listen to what her words were.

He watched her mess with her darkened hair, fix her clothes, and giggle to herself. He laughed along with her, so in his own head he didn't even realize he was now brushing a stray piece of hair away from her face.

She looked up at him, only to see nothing but his face very close to hers. So close, that he had kissed her.

Her movements froze as his hand held her face gently, pressing his lips to hers even more feather-like than his hand did to her face. Her eyes stayed open in her shock, and her lips moved not a centimeter as he finally pulled away, immediately red from his embarrassment.