Chapter 13: Tossed Around

ᡕᠵ᠊ᡃ່࡚ࠢ࠘ ⸝່ࠡࠣ᠊߯᠆ࠣ࠘ᡁࠣ࠘᠊᠊ࠢ࠘𐡏

Two of the first years sat on the steps, speaking about their friend that had died the day before.

"Jeez, you're more moody than usual, Megumi." Maki strolled up to them, "what is this, a funeral?"

Megumi spoke up to correct her, "Zen'in..."

"Don't call me by my last-"

"Maki!"

The green haired girl turned around, spotting her other second years hiding behind a tree. "Maki!" Kaori yelled, cupping her hands around her lips.

Panda cupped his paws around his mouth as well, "he really did die, that first year boy!"

"Salmon!"

Maki gritted her teeth, speaking through them angrily, "you're a little late! Now I look like a cold hearted demon!"

"Well, you pretty much are!" Panda yells back.

The first years behind Maki began to talk to each other, the girl covered her mouth with her hand and her bright hair fell over her face.

Panda stepped out from behind the tree first, walking over to the pair on the steps. "Sorry about her," he apologized, clasping his paws together, "especially during these sad times." He lifted his head, "but we want you guys to participate in the Kyoto sister-school goodwill event with us."

"What's that?" the girl on the steps asked.

Megumi responded, "it's a goodwill event with the other jujutsu high in Kyoto. but isn't it usually just the second and third years who participate?"

"That idiot third year is suspended right now," Maki scoffed, "we don't have enough people so we need you guys."

Panda continued, explaining further, "each principle chooses an event for the day. The first day is the team event and the second day is the individual event."

The orange haired girl exclaims, "team and individual events against other jujutsu sorcerers?!"

Maki smirked, "yup! A jujutsu battle where "no killing" is the only rule!"

"We'll get you into shape so you don't die!" Panda said, giving a thumbs up.

Kaori asks, "so you're in right?"

"Do it for your fallen friend!" Panda urges.

The two first years exchange a glance, both subtly nodding before turning back to their upperclassman, "we're in!"

"Great!" Kaori claps happily, "I've never been in this event, so let's go train!"

The orange haired girl stood up immediately, but looked back to see Megumi still sitting on the stairs. "You're coming, aren't you?" she asked.

"I have some business to take care of first, I'll meet you there later."

As he excused himself, the three girls instinctively stuck together at the front of the group. Kaori turned her head to the unknown first year before Maki could refocus. "I'm Kaori! I don't think we've met before."