Love at First Conversation

Start from the beginning

"That's love, Loki". His eyes sharpened slightly, and you could already hear his defence. "And before you go off onto how annoying Thor is, why don't you bring the focus back to yourself". His eyes stayed sharp, but his headed tilted slightly. You loved when he titled his head.

"Back to myself?". He continues giving you a steady stare.

"Do you think you love yourself? Are you kind to yourself?". He actually seemed caught off guard by your question. He titled his head further as he considered his reply. He is not used to someone asking about how he is towards himself, only used to people fearing or mocking him.

"What do you.. mean?". He asked once again.

"What I say. We all forget to be kind to ourselves, and love ourselves, while we focus on pleasing others, seeking their validation. It's not worth it. We're always more important than them, we're just taught not to treat ourselves so well". He nodded, now understanding what you meant.

"I think... I do". You didn't buy it. There is no way he did.

"Do you truly?". He thought upon his reply again.

"The truth is, I am not always kind to myself. Not only have I lived in the shadow of my brother for my entire life, but... I have done many things worth despising". He seems embarrassed now, as if he hates speaking this out loud, or acknowledge the truth. "But I am... I am determined to do better".

"That's good, Loki. And you will. It sounds so cliche but we truly have to love ourselves first, for everyone else is a reflection of us". A small, genuine smile spreads across his face now at your words. They're just what he needed to hear today. You always had the right words for him, he felt. "Plus, we've all done horrid, shitty things, Loki. But now is our chance to move on from it all. To not even let ourselves be in such positions again where such things could happen". He nods again.

"You're very wise. And you are right. I must learn to love myself, even the parts of me that I despise". Now you smile, warmly at his words of recognition. "You... you are a kind woman, and with such an empathetic spirit...", he seems almost hesitant to say.

"Thank you, Loki. I just learnt all this the hard way as well". He smiles, understandingly. He somewhat knows that you and Tony had a rough time growing up, often used as pawns before the public by your greedy, swinish parents. How similar you were.

"I suppose some people can only ever learn sometimes by experiencing the hardships that life provides them. But in that way, all your past hardships and mistakes have led you to this point, as the wise, caring, empathetic, woman who can encourage others to accept themselves". Ok you truly weren't expecting all this praise from him. "Perhaps the greatest wisdom comes from those who have experienced life's greatest pains. And perhaps we can only grow once we have touched rock bottom".  Your laid your book against your stomach, giving him your full, undivided attention. His openness had you almost speechless.

"Thank you, Loki. For the kind words about me. And yes, yes I agree with that. The wisest are always the most tired", you smiled.

"Your kind words are truly.... They are truly a balm on my heart". Your smile grew, as you sat half-upright so you could take a sip of your coffee that was on the small table between you both.

"Perhaps thats all you need, Loki. Some words of love". He blushed. He actually blushed at your words. He now gave you a small, flustered nod.

"I've never.. been spoken to this way... not by someone who meant it, anyway. It... it is lovely, truly. I... I must thank you". You waved your hand while swallowing your mouthful, and laid back down with your book as you replied—

"It's my pleasure, honey". His face went red, clearly a little flustered at the endearment, but he tried to cover it up by pulling a confident, cheeky, wink at you. He did that sometimes, and it secretly drove you mad. He pauses for a few seconds, thinking about his next words.