Part 57

SNAPE'S POV 

Cold. Soggy. Wet.  

The bottom of my cloak was drenched in the thick morning dew that hung over the grass. And, since the sun was yet to rise, it was similar to walking in frost.  

Ever since Mel had "discovered" that dear old Sirius was a "murderer", I hadn't heard a word from the strange, muggle-living, witch.

'Melanie?' I called almost hopelessly.  

'Ready to feed me another lie?' came the reply from somewhere close to the forest. I pulled up short, preparing to smile before her words had reached my ears.  

'Lies?' I said, 'I promise- no, I SWEAR- I have told you nothing but the truth. Sirius is, as much as I may hate it, innocent.'

Slowly, like a doe emerging for the first time after winter, Melanie stepped out from behind a tall fir tree. Her face was red in places, her eyes watery. Her hair, usually luminous, hung damp and limp at her shoulders. And to think she'd only been out here one night...

'Care to make the unbreakable vow as your proof Severus? A promise that the criminal Black will not touch me?' I smiled wryly, making connections to Sarah. Melanie, like her daughter, took nothing to chance.  

'I can't do that,' I said. She widened her eyes.  

'And why not?' Her voice had acquired a venomous tone, like someone who thought they had the right idea.  

'Because Sirius is unpredictable.'

My words met an awkward silence, both of us too cold to talk. Melanie's eyes were like steel flints, cold to the core. 

'Well then...' she said, 'I suppose we'd better get going. You can instruct me on what's going on as we walk.'  

'Wait,' I said, grabbing her arm, 'no more questions? Snarky comebacks? No more suspicion?'  

Melanie looked at me, her eyes softening.  

'I lived with Him. Secrecy is overrated. Besides, your mind was completely open. And you were being truthful so I figured, why not? Happy?'  

I could do little but stare open-mouthed as Melanie begun to walk back to the Headquarters of the Order, never questioning the right path.  

What a bizarre, scary, powerful, amazing woman.

SARAH'S POV

Time, went the little voice in my head, it's timeeee...

I stepped out, into the candlelight.  

'Really Dumbledore? Time to tell young Potter the secret you yourself have only just discovered?' Dumbledore nodded, his piecing eyes a force I couldn't penetrate. Harry meanwhile, looked absolutely boggled. His attention kept switching between Dumbles and I, no idea what either of us were talking about. Draco, strangely, looked about the same. He grimaced slightly as I looked at him, his eyes bright.  

'Not all of it,' I said under my breath, my attention now focused on Potter.

'Now', I said, 'everyone is aware that you, Harry James Potter, aren't normal. This probably has to do with being constantly put against Lord Voldemort, an opponent whom you could never beat-'  

'Sarah,' Dumbledore interjected, 'Harry is a more than capable wizard. Please do not doubt his abilities.' I grinned.  

'Sure, on one condition.' At this, Draco looked up. 

'Yes?' Draco asked softly. I smiled tenderly at him.  

'I wish for the Professor and you to leave me, just for an hour, with Harry.'