Fatal Containment - Chapter 22

Chapter 22

The bridge of the Dominion was a hive of activity, the bridge crew working diligently to ensure everything was returned to working order after the recent attack. The damage had left their sensor array barely functional, a critical impairment for a ship that could be attacked again in deep space. Owen stared down at the tactical plot, his gaze fixed on the holographic star map projected in front of him.

"We need that sensor array back online," he declared, his tone brooking no argument. "We're flying with a blind spot."

Connor frowned. "With all due respect, sir, we should continue to Jyestha station. They have the power inducer we need for repairs."

Before Cantrell could respond, Lt. Cheryl Kinson, the ship's science officer, stepped forward. "Sir, if I may," she interjected pressing a button that lit up an asteroid in the tactical plot. "There's an abandoned mining station in the Vesta asteroid field. It's a risk, but it should have the parts we need."

Cantrell turned to her, his gaze assessing. "What makes you sure?"

Cheryl glanced at Connor before continuing. "I reviewed the logs of the station before it was abandoned. They had advanced sensor technology to keep from being surprised by stray asteroids while they were mining. I'm not sure what equipment they left, but if there are any spare inducers, it should be compatible with our systems."

Connor looked skeptical. "That's a big if, Lieutenant and it could place the ship at risk. We still need to get the medicine to Mutara VI."

Cantrell was silent for a moment, considering. Then he nodded. "I agree with the lieutenant. Set a course for the Vesta asteroid field. I don't want this ship running without a full sensor array. The ship that hit us before knows his missile made us vulnerable on the port side. He could be angling toward us even now without our knowledge."

As Cheryl turned to carry out her orders, Connor looked back at the star map, his expression grim. He just couldn't seem to keep up with the captain. One moment, Cantrell was boasting about the unstoppable nature of the imperial fleet and the need to get to Mutara VI without delay. And now, he was afraid of a sensor outage and willing to carve out time from their mission to fix it. Was he ashamed that he had let his ship be damaged in what should have been a totally one-sided fight? Or was he right, and the captain suspected that a larger attack could come, and he wanted the ship to be ready to fight?