CHAPTER EIGHTEEN: FRESH AIR

"Please take me to Salma's tent," King Aziz requested. Both Fahd and Amaan stared at him in shock; clearly, something like this was not normal. King Aziz stood up from the mattress and followed the young woman to the tent, leaving Fahd and his brother to run after him. King Aziz got to Salma's tent, only to see a group of men standing outside the tent, pacing.

"My king, you do not have to stay; perhaps we should continue this discussion at a later date." The Sheikh explained, but King Aziz had already made up his mind that he was going nowhere.

"I am sorry, but I will not be going anywhere."

"But my king—" The sheikh tried to argue, but King Aziz stopped him by raising his hand.

"I know about your daughter; I will help her deliver her baby," King Aziz told the sheikh, and this caused a ruckus. There were murmurs coming from behind the king, as the men standing around the tent were outraged that the king had suggested he deliver a baby.

"My king, you cannot do such a thing; you are a king." Amaan edged closer to his brother's ear and tried to make him understand.

"Amaan, I am a king, and Salma is my subject; therefore, I should help her." King Aziz responded to his brother, which only made Amaan angrier.

"But she is a woman; she is married, and so are you." Amaan objected.

"Yes, I am aware of that, but it is not as if I am cheating on my wife; I am merely helping my subject, and it is the least I can do," King Aziz replied and turned his attention to the Sheikh.

"But, my king, you do not know how to deliver a baby," The sheikh argued.

"Fortunately for you, I do know a thing or two about delivering babies; I have attended multiple classes, the sooner you allow me to help your daughter, the better it would be for her." Without wasting any more time. The sheikh directed King Aziz into the tent, where he saw Salma, lying with her back flat on her mattress.

King Aziz could see that Salma was a young woman, around the age of his wife, Lily. Salma was in the care of two younger women who sat next to her, holding her hand as beads of sweat fell from her brow.

All three women turned their heads as they were in shock that a man had entered the tent. Their instinct kicked in as they bowed their heads to welcome the king, but their shock was noticed by the king.

"Thank you, ladies. How long has Salma been in labour?" The king asked as he moved closer to Salma and examined her.

"She has been in labour for three hours, and it is only in the last thirty minutes that she has gone from bad to worse," One of the women explained.

"Okay, I need you to get me some towels and hot water," King Aziz instructed the women, and they did as they were told. With Salma screaming her head off, King Aziz could not help but coach her throughout her labour.

What might seem like a few minutes to most felt like an eternity for King Aziz, who minutes later held Salma's daughter in his hands as she pushed her final push. King Aziz stared at the beautiful baby girl in his arms, and although she was screaming her lungs out, the baby girl was by far the prettiest that the king had ever set his eyes on.

"Hey little one, welcome to the world; my name is King Aziz Hassan," King Aziz whispered to the little. For the first time, he had heard himself announce himself as king, and what better way to do it than in front of a new member of Hamidin?

Without waiting a second longer, he handed the baby girl back to her mother, who held her in her arms as tears fell from her eyes. Salma turned her head to face the king, and she mouthed a 'thank you' to the king.