| Year 3 | Chapter 8: Daddy Issues vs. Furry Little Problems

Start from the beginning

"All of my mom's side of the family really," Marley doesn't look like she struggles much with it, but I know that doesn't mean that that's actually true. "They were murdered in the War."

I have way more in common with Marley than I ever thought. In ways I'd never wish we were alike. I put a hand on her shoulder as a sign that I'm here if she needs it. I tend to get overwhelmed or annoyed when people show me pity.

"I never knew that!" Liliana fully turns to Marley now. "How did we not know that?"

"Cause I never told you," Marley stated and to my surprise, she doesn't sound the least bit affected or small. She sounds almost in- different, I realise.

"That must be so hard for you and your mom," Vanessa tries to approach it, but with one look at Marley, I know she doesn't want to talk about it.

"Guys, we're gonna be late for Herbology," I change the subject. Liliana and Ginny are about to protest when they see the look on my face and stop as well.

"Thanks," Marley whispers as soon as we're outside, on our way to the greenhouses.

"No problem."

Later that day, I go up to the Black Lake with Luna. We often meet there, because we both love how calm it is and still beautiful. So damn beautiful.

"I never knew about Marley's mom," I say, before realising it's quite out of the blue.

We're lying in the grass, just a few feet from the Lake, both looking up at the sky. It's one of my favourite things: this peace and calm around us. No complicated conversations or worrying, just the simplicity of being here with Luna.

"I did," Luna perks up, her gaze never wavering from the sky. "We talk a lot about it, actually. I tell her about my mom and she talks about hers and her aunts and uncles."

"Did Mrs. Diggory have many siblings?"

"Yes, the McKinnon family was quite large. I'd compare it to the Weasley family now."

I had no idea about that. I dawns on me how I really don't know so much about Marley, even though she's been my friend for a year now. Not like she knows much about me either, except my family.

And even about that, she knows less than she realises. Than anyone here knows, except Harry.

"Felicity even had a twin sister," Luna carries on talking. It's almost as if she does not even realise she's talking to me any- more. "But she was killed too, with the rest of her family."

"I can't imagine what it must've felt like for her to lose her twin." I think about what it would be like to lose Harry. I've already lost my parents, grandparents all of my family except him and an aunt, uncle and cousin. And all of them hate me. I think I'd go mad if I had to lose Harry too.

That's why Harry is always so protective. I've known that for a long time, but some- times it just... hits me.

"I've always wanted a sibling," Luna sudden- ly mentions, ever so calm. "Especially after seeing you and your brother. You two are the type of siblings I've always wanted to be."

"It can be a bit annoying," I warn her, look- ing at her solemnly. "But it's also really good I guess. He's always there for me, doesn't judge me, knows me better than anyone too..."

"I've seen how worried he is when you're in the hospital wing." I freeze at the mention and try to look into her thoughts. "Worry like that can only come from truly caring. He cares more about you than anyone else."

And I'm so scared... I can't figure out if she knows.
*~*

Harry's POV:

"That was amazing!" Ron exclaims as we walk out of the classroom. Everyone agrees enthusiastically, even Hermione, who usually prefers the theoretical approach. However, I can't seem to be in such high spirits.