Chapter Sixxty Two

*Beep* *Beep* *Beep*
     "What the hell is that?" I yelled, rubbing my eyes awake.
     "It's my fuckin alarm" he yawned.
     "Well turn that shit off!" Nikki slapped his hand over the clock, shutting it off. I turn my head to look at the time "Nikki, what are you doing getting up this early?"
     "It's 10 AM." he sighed. "We have a radio interview today with KLOS about the promotion or some fucking bullshit that Coffman has us doing." He told me, getting out of bed. He ran his hands through his hair and started getting dressed "He found some chick that's willing to help with merchandising at a record store. I wonder which one of us he wants to bang that chick 'cause there's no way she volunteered to do that for free."
     "Well, it's not going to be you!"
     "I promise it won't" he said, running his hand through my hair to hold the back of my head and leaning down to kiss my forehead. "I love you, babe, I'll be back in a few hours!" he began to walk away.
     "Wait!" I yelled.
     He turned around "Yeah babe?"
     "You're leaving now?" I pouted my lip.
     "I need to hun" he replied comfortingly.
     "I have work tonight... wanna stop by after?"
     "Sure sweets, I'll see you later, ok?"
     "Ok" I mouthed with a lazy smile as he walked off. As Nikki left the room, I stretched my limbs and sighed, realizing I had a few hours before I had to head into work. I decided to make the most of the time and dragged myself out of bed, determined to have a productive morning.

     Spoiler Alert! I had an extremely unproductive morning and slouched on the couch watching The Price is Right. I sigh to myself  "I wish Bob Barker was more good-looking."

*Ring-ring-ring*

     I pick up the phone "Hellooo"
     "Hey hot stuff"
     "Sorry, but I think you have the wrong number." I say
     "Do you seriously not recognize my voice? Damn that's a bit of an ego bruise." the man replied
     "Who is this?" I question.
     "Fuck Isabelle, it's Dave!"
Oh, son of a bitch- "Da- how did you even get this number?"
     "I know people" he cheered.
     "Oh lord- what's up Roth, why you callin'?"
     He dragged out his proposition "I was thinking we could go out for drinks. Maybe have you the rest of the band too."
     He left me speechless, of course, I want to meet Eddie Van Halen but I can't just go out with David Lee Roth either. "I appreciate the offer but I think I'm going to need a rain check on that one." I regretfully say.
     "Aw, what, Sixx holding you back or something?" he said calling out the obvious.
     "You know that I can't just go out with a bunch of guys for drinks and not have my boyfriend with me..."
     Dave let out a dramatic sigh on the other end of the line. "Fine, bring Sixx along too. The more the merrier. It'll be a wild night, I promise you that."
     I chuckled, knowing that Nikki would not be pleased about this either way. "Alright, I'll talk to Nikki and see if he's up for it. But no promises, Dave."
     "Fantastic! Just let me know. We'll make it a night to remember," he exclaimed before hanging up.
     I put down the phone and pondered the idea. Of course, Nikki would not want me to go do this but if he's with me, it shouldn't matter. I decided it would be best to bring up the proposition to Nikki later that evening when he came over after his radio interview.

     I was doing my usual routine behind the bar at the club, nothing special. For a Friday night, it wasn't that busy. Within the next hour, the real party rolled in, Nikki and the guys bee-lined straight to the bar where I had already begun making their drinks. Wasn't too hard since they typically stick to the same thing every time. "Evening gentleman" I greet.
     "Hello to you my lovely lady" Nikki reach for a quick kiss over the bar.
     "How was that radio stuff, did it go ok?"
     "Eh, same old shit." Vince responded.
     "Same old lecture" Tommy rolled his eyes.
     "Same old incompetent fuck" Mick added.
     "Fucking bastard." Nikki muttered.
     I was shocked at their bad mood, typically it's very lively when they are here "Woah what the fuck happened?"
     "So our "manager"-" Nikki air quoted with a childish tone "wants us do shows around southern California, right?"
     "Yeah so?"
     "Now listen and let me finish before you jump in- so, we can, we will, we have done shows in California and I'm ok with that, but of course, we want to do bigger, better things. So this new chick- the one I told you about earlier- she works at a record store and is having us produce like twenty-five thousand copies of Too Fast For Love and is doing this huge promotion for us. So here is my first fucking issue with Allan right. We have 12 songs on Too Fast For Love on our original copy, so it's simple- 6 and 6. Those were the fucking copies we've handed out at shows but now this DIPSHIT is making us cut Stick To Your Guns because there "isn't enough room" on the LP and will take down the quality of it- which isn't fucking true!" he rants.
     "Ok.. and" I listen.
     "Well, it does take the quality down ever so slightly but none of us think it's bad enough to cut the whole song." Vince adds.
     "FUCKIN ANYWAY- that's the first thing that pissed me off. Now you and me both know we got big dreams and shit but at the same time, I also know reality. We want to go throughout the country and play but at this very moment in time, it's not that realistic. On the other hand, the UK eats this shit up. They have our music there already which THE FUCKER NEVER TOLD US!" Nikki begins to yell with sarcasm which means he's really fucking pissed. "So there's talking about us doing a tour through the UK and the second it's brought up, Coffman shuts it down- he did even want to acknowledge it." Nikki sighs as if he's relieved. Glad he got to get that off his chest.
     "Needless to say we are not very pleased with our management at the moment." Mick said calmly.
    I nodded, understanding their frustration. "Hmm.. I can see why you guys are upset." I stand for a moment. "Oo!" I run to grab something from the other side of the bar and back. "Take these. Maybe it will help."
     "What's this?" Tommy asks.
     "Drink vouchers, you're welcome."
     "I thought you were going to give me a lap dance but this works too I guess" Vince rolled his eyes playfully. I shook my head and bring my attention back to Nikki. I felt bad for him, he works really hard but because of the position he's in, there's a small window for growth that he's doing everything he can to squeeze through. I turn around to make Nikki another drink "On the house." I put it down in front of him. I rest my hand on top of his using my thumb to lightly rub it and looking up with sympathy in my eyes.
      "I'm just so-" he can't even finish the sentence without getting red.
      I pick up his hand, wrapping both of mine around it, and kiss his knuckles. "I know that whatever happens it will work out and you will continue to do great things." I smile. "And excuse my shitty pun here but, you need to stick to your guns-" I start laughing through my words "and do what you need to do." I begin to laugh even harder "You need to stick to your guns and put that damn song on there-"
     Nikki snatches his hand with a confused smile and sarcastically says "Fuck you!" and he steps away leaving me laughing to myself.
     I turn my attention back to the rest of the boys. I sigh "So how are you guys coping with his anger?" I ask.
     "Drugs... alcohol... women " Tommy replies.
     "So this probably isn't a good time to tell him that Diamond Dave called me earlier." I grimace.
     "He called you?" Vince asked seemingly disgusted.
     "Ya don't need to sound so happy about it" I rolled my eyes. "Yeah, he called me."
     "What did he want?" Tommy asked.
     I scoff "He wanted to go out for drinks. Said he'll introduce me to the rest of the band."
     Vince and Tommy looked at each other and then back at me "What did you say?"
      "I said I'll only go if I bring Nikki with me and that I'll ask him. And no promises either."
      "So.. are you gonna go?"
      "I need to ask Nikki if he'll go with me. But we had a fight a couple of weeks ago about a related topic so I don't really want to ask him now." I slouch over the bar resting my chin on my hand.
     "Let me talk to him. I think I can get him to break."
     I sigh in relief and begin to head back to work "Thanks, Tom."
—————————————————————