chapter 9

The velvety night air embraced us as we arrived at Benny's house, illuminated by a warm glow that emanated from the inside. The savory aroma of dinner floated through the air, tickling our noses and tempting our stomachs. As we entered, we could see that the table was set welcomingly, with each place carefully arranged and a steaming dish sitting in the middle.

But despite the cozy atmosphere and delicious food, the tension was palpable. The silence at the table was heavy, punctuated only by the clinking of utensils against plates and the occasional throat clearing. As I tried to take a bite, I found that I couldn't swallow- my mouth dry and my stomach churning with unease.

Desperate to fill the hollow silence, I turned to Benny and attempted to strike up a conversation. "So, tell me Benny- this house, how did you get it?" I asked, my voice shaking slightly with nervous energy. As he lifted his fork to his lips, Benny paused and set it down. His eyes met mine, and for a moment, we locked gazes.

Then, a grin crept over his face as he responded. "Would you believe me if I told you I work as a Mafia boss?" I was stunned, my mouth agape before I finally let out a small chuckle. Despite the tense situation, Benny's unexpected response had broken the ice and brought a moment of levity to the table.

"Nah," I said, wiping the grin from my face as the succulent flavor of the chicken danced on my taste buds. He smiled and shrugged. "But, even if that's true, that's not a stable job."

"It's only unstable if you don't know what you're doing. You don't think I know what I'm doing? Take a look at this house you're in," he retorted with a hint of annoyance, gesturing around the elegant living space. My eyes drifted over to Jolica, who wore a guilty expression.

"Jolica told me about the money," he continued, his mouth now twisted in a wry smile. " 80 million dollars, Wyatt? You have two million and you can't even spend some on your own wife?" The words came out of nowhere, leaving me stunned and speechless.

I scoffed at his words, my eyes narrowing in defiance. "That 80 million dollars you're talking about is for Matthew and Michael's college. Those are birthdays, graduations, and bills. First cars," I explained, my voice rising with each word. "And as for me not taking care of my wife, we are living comfortably." I paused to catch my breath, my chest heaving with emotion.

Benny's widened in surprise, clearly taken aback by my outburst. I could see the fear creeping into his expression, but I didn't care. I was tired of people judging me, assuming that just because I didn't flaunt my wealth, I must not know how to take care of my family.

"I'm telling you, man, if you don't step up your game and take care of your girl, someone will," he repeated, his voice now tinged with a hint of threat.
I glared at him, refusing to back down. My father had taught me one thing - to never be bullied, especially when you're a man. And I sure as hell wasn't going to let this guy intimidate me.

And what does that suppose to mean?" I shot back, my voice laced with anger.

I leaned in closer, my eyes locked onto him, daring him to say something else. I didn't care if he was bigger or stronger than me; I had something he didn't - self-respect

Amanda's whisper pulls me out of my thoughts, as she utters Wyatt's name. I follow her gaze to Micheal and Mattew, who were listening intently, and a lump forms in my throat. I feel the weight of their eyes on me as I try to find words to say. But at that moment, I know deep down that this isn't the time or place for such a conversation. My heart sinks as I swallow hard, choosing to remain silent.