last day on earth

WILLOW HELPED Maggie check each gun, ensuring they were fully loaded. 

Maggie had talked to her after they buried Denise. She worried about an attack on Alexandria, and Willow agreed. They didn't end things. They started something.

Glenn and Michonne trailed towards them, watching the two of them check the guns and drop the larger ones into a bin.

"We'll have these, but we should hide a few. That way we can find them, but strangers can't." Maggie explained to the two. "In case anyone gets in."

Glenn picked up a pistol and checked it, the metal clinking together. "They won't."

Their heads snapped towards the front gates of Alexandria when they heard Daryl's motorcycle revving.

"Oh, no." Michonne said.

"What the hell is he doing?" Glenn asked, his eyes squinted.

"He's going after them." Willow said under her breath, tossing her gun down.

The four of them sprinted to the gate, trying to catch him and talk him out of what he was about to do, but Rosita already had the gate open and Daryl was already pulling 60 on his bike. Michonne and Glenn immediately hopped into a van, the engine roaring to life and heading to the gate. 

Abraham hopped down from his post and stepped in front, slamming his hands down on the hood of the van. "Whoa! Make room for my freckled ass."

"No." Rosita said harshly. "Cover my watch. You stay."

"Hey, we should keep numbers here." Glenn said, protesting Rosita's assistance.

"I know where Daryl's going." She shot back, already halfway into the van.

Willow stepped up to Glenn's window, her thoughts racing, unable to form simple words. He looked at her, shaking his head.

"I'm sorry." He said quietly. "We'll bring him back, I swear."

He gave her arm a squeeze, offering some reassurance, but it didn't do much.

It took everything in her to step back and watch the van leave the community. She didn't look away until Abraham had the gates shut.

Maggie stepped beside her, slipping her hand into Willow's. They both shared the same fear and desperation, and they could practically feel it through each other. 

"They'll make it back." Maggie said, speaking those words to see if she could believe it herself.

Willow clenched her eyes shut. "We need them all here, now. If you're right about an attack coming, we just lost four of our best."

"What time did she leave? You know what she took?" 

Maggie and Willow turned towards Rick, walking fast with Tobin towards them at the gate.

"Sometime in the night. I never heard her go, but she made a bunch of food, you know." Tobin responded, his voice shaking. "She took her pack, one of my coats-"

"Did she leave on foot?" Rick asked, his face twisted.

"I- I don't know."

Rick and Tobin finally came to a stop beside Maggie and Willow. He had the attention of Abraham, Sasha and Morgan, the three of them stepping closer.

"What the hell is going on?" Willow asked, looking between Tobin and Rick for an answer.

Rick tilted his head, rubbing the bridge of his nose. "Carol. She left."

Willow's eyes widened, and Maggie shared the same look.

"Rick, I took over at 12:00, I was on till 6:00. I never saw anything." Sasha explained.