"Dr. Anderson? I'm Dr. Hale and this is Dr. Fox. I will be your OB and he will assess your injuries, is that okay?"

"Where's Dr. Fanning? I need her?" I croaked out with a broken voice.

"They're contacting her, but I'm going to work with you until she gets here and we can get permissions sorted for her, okay?"

I nodded, wincing as Dr. Fox prodded at the injuries on my face, barking out orders about the cat scan I knew I was going to need. I knew it was safe for the baby in the second trimester, but I couldn't help but feel the immense fear of something happening. I could still feel baby moving and cried out as a kick landed in my ribs.

Everyone stopped working on me, looking concerned that they had caused the pain.

"The baby got my ribs pretty good", I said grimacing, and giving a small smile.

Dr. Fox nodded and Dr. Hale walked away mumbling about a fetal monitor. 

"Can you walk me through your injuries Dr. Anderson?" Dr. Fox asked. 

"Please just call me Faye. He hit me with his gun on my temple and cheek, and he kicked me in the back and ribs multiple times. I had curled around myself to protect the baby." I said, my voice breaking.

He nodded, appearing to swallow his anger before asking if he could check on my head, face, back, and ribs. He assessed my head and face first, confirming I had a concussion, but assured me it was mild. He assessed my ribs second, and I hissed at the small amount of pressure he used, especially on my left side. He had a couple of the nurses role me to my right side to look at my back.

I could hear the sucked in breaths as they looked at the damage, and I honestly didn't even want to know what I looked like right now. I could feel blood crusted on my face and hair, and I had to be turning some serious shaded of purple. 

I winced as Dr. Fox ran his hand down my back, feeling for anything amiss with my spine. As they rolled me back onto my back, and sat me up now that they had deemed it safe enough, Dr. Hale come back with an ultrasound machine. I felt the dread hit in the bottom of my stomach, praying that everything was okay. The baby moving gave me some peace of mind, but we didn't really know until we could visualize what was going on. A resident helped her set up the machine and they pulled down my scrub pants to below my stomach, careful of the bruises that were quickly forming.

I cried in relief has a strong heart rate was quickly found, and looked over at mine and Colton's baby. Dr. Hale seemed happy with what she was seeing, and I released a breath I didn't even know I was holding. 

"He look perfectly healthy, you've got a strong and feisty one on your hands." She said smiling.

"He?" I whispered out. 

"I'm so sorry I assumed you knew and I don't have any of your notes from your hospital." She said, looking like the guilt might eat her alive.

"Its okay, I really needed that." I said letting out a sob. "Its been a really shitty fucking day."

The medical team around me chuckled, and the resident wiped the gel off my belly. Dr. Hale printed some pictures, handing them to me to have during my cat scan.

I clenched the photos in my hand as they wheeled me toward radiology, and I prayed I wasn't severely hurt. I knew my baby was viable, but if they had to deliver him today there were so many things that could go wrong. Baseline he would be in the NICU for weeks. I fought the pitted feeling in my stomach as they transferred me to the scanner and left to conduct the scan. 

After a few minutes they came back, notifying me that they were admitting me because at the very least they wanted a night of observation. By the time they delivered me to my room, I was grateful to be away from the chaos of the ER.

I wanted badly to ask about Marissa and Jay, but I knew just as well as anyone they couldn't tell me anything. My hands shook as I brought them to my face, letting the sobs wrack through me. I felt the bed dip, and Dr. Hale and Dr. Fox sat there. They had so much compassion between the two of them I felt a part of me heal. 

"You two work really well together." I murmured, looking out the window.

I heard them chuckle before Dr. Hale responded. "I hoped we would, we are married after all." She teased, grabbing his hand.

I gave them a small smile, careful of the splits on my head and face thankful they didn't need stitches. 

"They're reading your cat scan now, and we'll be back in a few minutes to let you know the results, okay?" Dr. Hale said, patting my leg.

I nodded and they left the room. I didn't know how unready I was to be left alone until they were gone, and the anxiety gripped my chest. My form shook and I tried to avoid crying in pain from the shocks it sent to my back and ribs.

I heard the door open, and didn't bother to look up as my hands wiped my tears. 

"Oh thank god." I heard Colton's tear filled voice say.

My head shot up, and I swore in that moment my heart could have leaped from my chest. His strong form rushed to me before he gently pulled me into his arms, careful not to use any pressure. My sobs increased has his hands lightly trailed my back. I forced him to sit in the bed with me so I could feel him against me.

I brought his hands to my stomach, and could practically feel the relief roll off of him as the baby moved under his hands. 

"Its a boy." I whispered

His eyes shot to mine, and he finally allowed the tears to fall from his eyes that had been there since he entered the room. 

"No shit?" He questioned.

I giggled, hiding my wince as I put my head on his shoulder, closing my eyes. After what felt like seconds, but Colton informed me was 45 minutes, Dr. Fox had returned.

"So I looked over your cat scan, nothing appears to be broken, but I can see cracks on two ribs on your left side."

Colton stiffened, and I could see the fear on his face.

"What does that mean for the pregnancy, the baby growing into her ribs?" Colton asked, looking green.

Dr. Fox smiled. "We are going to want her on bed rest for the next six weeks, which will take her to basically full term. We want to allow this to fully heal as to not complicate labor or delivery at all.  I don't see any internal injuries or bleeding, which was what we had been worried about with the trauma to your back and ribs, but everything looks great. We want to keep you tonight and hopefully allow you to go home tomorrow afternoon."

I nodded, holding in my groan about the bed rest, knowing for a fact this was non-negotiable. I was just thankful to be alive, and that my baby was okay.

"Thank you so much, tell your wife thank you." I say, wiping tears from under my eyes. 

He nodded, bidding us goodbye.

Colton pulled me in close to him, and laid us back in the bed, shoving his face into my hair.

"I thought I lost you." He said, his voice cracking.

"I thought I lost me too." I whispered, allowing myself to finally succumb to sleep.