little saint nick

Start from the beginning

Minnie hid her smile, "If it makes you happy Astrid, you are more than welcome." She mentioned at the room with a small wave of her hand. Astrid found this invitation beyond exciting. She began looking around, her mind filled with new ideas. It started small, garland around the tall windows, little fairy lights adorned on the grand wooden desk. Then she began to think bigger, with a flick of her wand she transfigured the large narrow plant, dracaena compacta. There was now a full pine tree in the corner of McGonagalls office, filled with red and green ornaments, all of which she mindfully picked out in the seconds it took her to transfigure the plant.

McGonagall looked up, her eyebrows raised in surprise. She knew Astrid was talented, but this was almost impossible for a girl her age. "You would make a great career in Transfigurations," she said, her eyes looking around the room.

Astrid shrugged, "Maybe." She continued on, happily looking around, charming, conjuring, and transforming the entire office into a christmas wonderland. Red and green colored the office at every corner, the smell of pine and peppermint filling the air.

"Don't even think about it," Minnie warned, her eyes never leaving the essays. Astrid lowered her wand, as she shyly looked away. She was about to transfigure the stack of class papers as anything but. She had actually not-so-intentionally flunked out of the last assignment. The full blame is to be put solely on Dean and Seamus!

Astrid finished adding the last touches, slumping back into the wooden chair once she was done. Minnie glanced up, looking around the room, a small smile on her face as she noticed the intricate details that only Astrid would've thought to add. Truthfully, McGonagall loved Christmas but was always much too busy with decorating the castle and setting everything in order before break to worry about decorating her office. She thanked Astrid, who wore a big child-like grin on her face, her love for Christmas stemming from her many Christmas' with her family. Back when everything was normal in their world.

"I'll decorate every single holiday," Astrid proclaimed, her face still observing her art.

Minnie pursed her lips, her eyes betrayed her stern look. "I never agreed to that, Astrid. This was a one time thing."

Astrid shook her head, her smile still very much present. "We'll see about that." Laughing at the undignified look McGonagall had given her.

· 𖥸 ·

CHRISTMAS BREAK HAD BEEN insanely fun. To keep her Aunt at bay, she wrote that she would be staying at Hogwarts for the two weeks. It's not like she could walk up and check anyways.

Seamus visited almost everyday and Astrid wondered if he did this every single break they had. She also wondered how Mr. and Mrs. Thomas had put up with them so long, and now with Astrid included she was sure they're daily hour long walks were an excuse to get out of the house filled with chaos created by the three. Dean had sent a letter to his parents weeks before, an attempt to prepare them for Astrid's stay. Sure, he acted like it at times, but he wasn't daft, anyone in the wizarding world would have a heart attack if their children brought home a Lestrange, and invited them to come stay. So he advised them prior and assured that Astrid wouldn't hurt a fly. Astrid could see the forced smile on Mr. Thomas, a wizard, but nonetheless, she was able to loosen his fear just hours into their dinner.

Dean's sister, Emilia, also knew Astrid. Completely unbeknownst to her though. She studied Astrid carefully with her best-friend, Dora, all of her seventh year that by October of that year she could retrace her entire route from first to last class. Not in a stalkerish way of course! And she heard the adventure stories Dean would keep secret from their parents, which all included a certain Lestrange. She felt weird knowing so much about her without Astrid even knowing what she looked like. But, Astrid didn't know about her and Dora's stalking, so she thought best to act as if Astrid was someone she had just met. After all this was their first time meeting.