the loudness of quiet

i loved her for her silenceor maybe,i just understood it

or maybe,
i just understood it

benjamin alire sàenz

──────────── · 𖥸 · ────────────

ASTRID CHATTED HAPPILY beside Cedric and Atlas as the three of them walked towards the entrance hall. They had all been looking forward for the first Hogsmead weekend of the year- especially Astrid, since it was her first time going.

September passed by quickly, the green leaves turned orange, and the sunny sky had darkened over the transitioning month. Studies had gotten more vigorous, but surprisingly, Astrid was excelling in almost all her classes. Almost. She had been going regularly to her classes, sometimes rather begrudgingly, all except for defense. Ever since the boggart lesson she seemed to have built up some sort of resentment towards Professor Lupin. She avoided him at all costs, memorizing his schedule to make sure they wouldn't cross paths.

She knew her marks would reflect poorly, but that didn't matter much to her when it came to his class.

"We'll go to Honeydukes and then Zonkos... Oh! And then, we'll go visit old man Burttie at the music shop!" Atlas said, adjusting his green and silver scarf.

Astrid sighed happily, her smile wide as they got closer to the doors. "I thought you were banned from the music shop?"

"Well, he's old he'll never notice," Atlas cleared his throat, his hands fiddling with the bead bracelets on his wrist. He had been previously banned due to accidentally, definitely not stealing a Julian Meadows poster.

Cedric shook his head, rubbing his hands together. "Just because he's old doesn't mean he wont rightfully kick us all out- Merlin it's cold," he interrupted himself as the large doors had opened, the wind breeze coming into the castle. The October weather was sporadic, though over the passing weeks Astrid noticed the wintery cold bleed deeper into the autumn weather. "These gloves work for nothing."

"Don't be ungrateful," Astrid replied, rolling her eyes. "It was my most thoughtful gift."

Cedric brought the his hands up to Astrid's face, showcasing the knit gloves that evidently had the worst craftsmanship. She could see the skin of his palm through the many little holes in the knitting. "Sid, gloves are supposed to keep your hands warm, not make them colder," Cedric complained, stuffing his hands into his pockets. "Is there a heating spell in your book?"

Astrid groaned, pushing him with her arm. "I told you, the book is meant to harm people, not help them."

"It's my birthday month," Cedric whined, giving his best version of puppy dog eyes.