Chapter Seventeen

I woke early the next morning and went to the gazebo to replace the books I'd taken to my room and finished, and to read more, relishing the break in the morning grind. I debated staying in my room or practicing—or even trying to see something in the room with the wall—but decided outside was better. Nature gave me energy. If the difficulty when I started in the Kingdom was an indication of what I could expect in Briarville, I'd need to save all my energy to practice when we went.

I didn't even go for a run, though I'd finally gotten through enough of my mom's books to notice a shift in what she felt was important enough to document. She didn't say what it was that prompted it—Jacob's death? Devland? Me? Each entry became more specific. Rather than documenting what worked in general—preventative medicine, calming spell, cleansing or protection spells for a place—to more specific—natural medicine to heal specific ailments, protection spells for a person, and even spells to deflect others, hide from being detected, and various ways to spell another person. The detection spells were obvious, given why she left home. It was weird, thinking my mom would use them, but she had made medicine and protected our home. I chose to think of everything else as things she needed to know to run her shop because other people would have sought her out.

"What are you reading?"

I startled, nearly ripping the page I had ready to turn. I craned my neck back, but the sun blocked my view of Zach from his waist up. I rolled from my stomach to my back, then ungracefully stumbled to my knees before making it to my feet.

"You're early." I shook my head to get my hair out of my face and lifted my chin as I met Zach's studious gaze.

"By ten minutes or so. I said around noon."

"Oh. It's almost noon?" My shoulders slumped. I looked away and then put the book back in the bench, then pressed the button to close the hideaway. "I thought it was only around ten."

"Must have been enjoying yourself."

"I guess."

Zach smirked. "Ready?"

I nodded and stepped off the centre of the gazebo floor to stand on the edge. "Are we bringing the dogs?"

"Just Onyx."

"Because Opal can't?"

Zach nodded.

"Shouldn't we leave her to keep Opal company?"

"Onyx can warn us of anyone coming so we can practice without worrying we'll be caught."

"It's a private yard."

"And a rosy neighbor who you just punished."

"She's not stupid enough to come over now."

"Desperation makes people stupid, Nora," Zach said and gestured to the floor. "Are you ready to go?"

"Sure." I nodded.

"You should open the portal. It saves my energy and gives you practice."

"It's not hard. I've done it twice."

"Still. I'd prefer not to waste energy until I'm fully recovered."

"Fine." I rolled my eyes and clucked for Onyx. Once she was at my side, I took hold of her collar and did what Zach had taught me.

The floor began to swirl as quickly as light glares in a room when a switch is turned on. In seconds, the pattern was obliterated. Only once all the colors merged did I feel safe to step forward. Holding Onyx's collar still, I stepped forward into the center. This time, it felt different and, for a minute, I was paused in complete darkness. I didn't feel like I was falling. A coolness brushed against my body instead and, when I took another step without knowing when my foot would land, I walked out the other side of the gazebo.