Round 3, Orange Belt: Covert Mission(Active Voice)

She emerged from the frigid depths, barely disturbing the waters as she moved towards the snow-covered shore. The Kerg Fey facility loomed large against the cold rock of the arctic shelf. The elves had chosen this location because it was remote, far from the Aken Fey and far from Cyberdrone City. The place was an impregnable fortress, guarded by natural and man-made defenses. Frozen Gear Keep made the perfect vault for The Serpent's Bandanna.

That's why she was there. Calico intended to steal it.

She checked the leaderboards on her HUD.

"Looks like Bad Fish and Killshot have both qualified for the championships."

"I hear Bad Fish got her hands on The Gilded Locust," said a morose voice over the party chat.

"Don't sound so glum, Magpie."

"I'm happy for you. Two of your guild members are in."

"It's about to be three, once we snag the Bandanna."

"Sounds like this is your year." Magpie always sounded like she wanted to smash their gaming rig against the nearest wall.

"Our year," Calico corrected as she looked around for the drainage pipe she knew was nearby. "You can still join the guild. Become a Rude Harpy. Then, when we qualify, there will be four of us in the championships."

"Nah, you know I run solo."

"You don't have to."

Calico consulted her area map. Her location pulsed orange. Magpie pulsed white on the roof of the complex.

"Going in." Calico added a pack of cigarettes to her quick access inventory. "Remember, if we're sighted more than three times, we fail the mission."

"I know. Stay low and out of trouble until you can pinpoint the artifact location."

"Okay. If we both claim it at the same time, we split the reward score and the system will do a random roll to see who gains the item. I just want the points for championship qualification."

"I've got it. Move."

Calico couldn't stand Magpie's sour disposition, but the girl knew how to game.

Placing a paper bag in quick access, she dove under the freezing water and swam for the drainage pipe.

After a brief struggle with the grating blocking the pipe, Calico swam the twenty yards to a utility access and out into an indoor loading dock. Using the last of her oxygen tank, she arrowed straight to flight of stone steps leading up to the landing. Listening intently, she cast off her: flippers, oxygen tank, breather, and goggles. As per the parameters of any Shadow Moses quest, her primary inventory was offline. She could only use what tiny support items were in her quick access and anything she could grab onsite.

Success came down to her cunning, stealth, and luck.

Weaving around pallets and crates, Calico leaves the water's edge and creeps over to an unattended forklift. Peering around the cab, she saw a Kerg Fey elite, an elf guard, patrolling the opposite side of the dock. Heavy winter gear and a heavy mage rifle, its rounds would eat through mundane and magical armor. Very powerful and very expensive. The Kerg Fey really wanted to secure the place. The elf guard moved out of sight and another moved into place, this one a lot closer to her hiding spot. Glancing around, Calico spotted a bottle of null bees hidden in the shadow of the forklift.

She carefully touched the item and added it to her mission inventory. When the new guard turned to continue his rounds, she sprinted to the nearby elevator.

ACCESS DENIED.

Swearing under her breath, Calico scanned the area for a clue. If she was supposed to infiltrate without being caught, they couldn't possibly expect her to eliminate the NPCs until they dropped a keycard. Looking for something to use as a weapon, she startled when the elevator beeped and the doors slid open. Rolling aside, she pressed herself against the wall as two new elf guards emerged. Not wanting to waste the opportunity, she ducked into the elevator as the doors closed.

"That was close," she whispered.

On the next floor, she skulked into the shadows and followed the contours of the room until she reached a flight of stairs accessing the upper level. There were elf guards everywhere, but they seemed to be tethered to set patrol routes. Easily avoided by someone with affinity for shadows, which her avatar species provided as a perk. This was going to be a piece of cake.

"Stop right there!"

A dozen guards poured into the room, rifles ready. With them was an elf knight and Magpie, the latter wearing a smug look on her face.

"Magpie, what the fuck is going on?"

"Change of plans. Someone needs to bring the Rude Harpies down a peg."

"We could have both made it to the championships."

"Then there would have been three of you to beat. This way, I'm only dealing with Bad Fish and Killshot."

"You heartless bitch."

"Thank you." Magpie's grin is infuriating. "Game Over, kitty cat."