The Food

Booth quickly collected the food from the front door. He thanked the delivery driver and handed over the tip. The exchange was brief, but the rain and wind made it feel like it had taken hours. By the time Seeley made it back to Mia, she had dragged the duvet from the guest bed and was hiding under it on the couch.

"Food?" He asked, not really expecting her to verbalise a response, but a muffled sound came out from under the duvet on the couch. Then it shuffled, and Mia appeared, looking slightly less happy than in their earlier interactions in the bathroom. He knew she didn't like being left alone, but ultimately, he knew it was for the best. Next time, hopefully, she could come too. But he would need to talk to Bones first. It was her choice and Mia's. But he was quite sure that Mia would follow him anywhere.

He was deep in his own thoughts when he noticed Mia staring at him. "Sorry" he said, passing her the pad Thai he was currently holding before heading into the kitchen to get plates and divided up the prawn toast and spring rolls. Once he got cutlery and collected the two plates of prawn toast and spring rolls. Then headed back to the living room and settled himself onto the couch next to Mia. They sat in silence. Booth knew Mia didn't want to talk. She never did before he left.

"Thank you" Mia whispered to Seeley selecting '10 Things I Hate About You' on Netflix. Normally Seeley would complain, but he knew it was one of her comfort films and tonight she would need comfort. Seeley knew Mia struggled when she was left on her own but unfortunately, the FBI didn't like extra people tagging along on investigations.

"No complaints?" Mia asked, looking across at Seeley.

"Nope, it was your turn to pick" Seeley replied, holding out a slice of pizza to his friend. Mia carefully took the slice of pizza and passed her pad Thai over to Seeley wordlessly.

They sat in silence watching the movie and eating their food for the next hour and a half just enjoying each other's company. Mia was deep in thought about what she was going to do while Seeley was out of state working for the FBI. Mia never really asked where he was going or what he was doing because she knew all too well that he wouldn't be able to tell her either answer.

Meanwhile, Seeley was thinking about what to say next to the woman who basically lived with him. He knew how he felt about her but he wasn't sure she was ready to know about that. He was thinking about the chance of her feeling the same way. He knew he was the person she went to when she most needed someone but it wasn't the same as what he felt.

As the credits rolled Seeley stood up taking the take-out containers into the kitchen. He wanted to talk to Mia about DC and Bones. He wanted to make it up to Mia that she would be without a safe place to be not alone while he was working away.

He quickly decided on what he thought the best way to make it up to her would be. Baking her a cake. She liked cake and it would probably last until he got back. Yep, not many people would ever imagine Seeley Booth baking cake on a weekend but here he was in his kitchen attempting to bake a cake.

Maybe making the cake was a step too far for Seeley since by the time the chocolate cake was finished Mia was snoring softly on the couch safely tucked up in the duvet. As he stood watching her sleep he realised exactly how sorry he was that he had to leave the next day and how happy he was that she was here and had chosen him to be part of her safe space. With that, he decided to decorate the cake before he gave it to her. He wanted her to understand that he didn't want to leave her in Texas but he had to.

Once he was happy with the cake he placed it on the table in front of Mia who was still snoring lightly. It had taken a lot longer than he thought it would. It had been three hours since the movie ended and he started baking.

Carefully he walked over to her, smiling at her sleeping form. Noticing how her auburn hair had spread out around her head. He gently stroked her cheek but it didn't get any reaction from her. Seeley gently shook her shoulder earning a confused look from Mia.

"You fell asleep" he whispered to her with a smile.

"Hmmm" she replied, rubbing her eyes before fixing them on the mess of Seeley Booth in front of her. He was covered in white powder, probably flour. He also had brown marks on his face and t-shirt that she was really hoping weren't poop. She let out a light giggle. It was very rare Seeley looked anything less than perfect.

"What?" Seeley asked with a confused look on his face, making Mia laugh even more.

"What have you been doing?" Mia asked, stifling another giggle and pulling the duvet further up before snuggling into it once again.

"Making you something" he replied with a smile before presenting her with the apology cake he had worked so hard on. She quickly stopped laughing and a sweet smile crossed her face.

"Thank you" Mia said smiling at Booth "Shall we eat it?" she continued with a smile before dipping her finger into the topping of the cake.

"I'll get spoons" Seeley replied before walking back into the kitchen.