The Shower

Standing in Seeley Booth's shower was the safest place in the world to Mia Keenan. It had been that way for the past 5 years. The warm water. The comforting smell of Booth surrounding her. The steam. The huge fluffy towels. The knowledge that someone else was there.

It was these quiet moments in Seeley's shower that Mia most looked forward to. Not because she was alone or that she knew Seeley would be waiting for her. It wasn't even knowing that no one could hurt her here. But because standing under that hot water reminded her of exactly how far she had come and how different her life could have been. It also gave her the space to think about exactly what she had lost as well. Sometimes, if she stood there too long the memories would come flooding back suffocating her. That's why Seeley would always wait outside the door. She passed out once. Smashed her head against the faucet and left a trail of blood across his house. He didn't want a repeat of that again. It was scary, especially given his job. So he waited. Listening. Protecting her.

"You okay?" Seeley shouted through the door.

"Yeah" she yelled back, unsure if he would hear her over the splashing of the water from the shower. She guessed not since there was a knock on the door. Then the door slowly opened revealing Seeley with his eyes screwed shut. He was all about respect. Especially where Mia was involved. They basically lived together but he never made a move on her. She wasn't even sure if he was interested in that way.

"Sorry" Seeley said as he felt his way to the toilet. Closing the lid and sitting down. He still kept his eyes closed tightly.

"It's okay" Mia said, watching him carefully before going back to her thoughts about exactly what happened to her or the parts of her past she remembered.

"Mia?" He asked, knocking on the door of the shower very carefully. His eyes remained glued to the ceiling trying to respect her privacy. When she didn't respond he looked at the space where her head was. "Mia?" he repeated. He monitored her reaction or lack of it very carefully. He knew she was at risk of passing out. But he also realised she was thinking about something and it was bothering her.

"Hmmm" she replied, staring at Seeley. They didn't often communicate like this but they trusted each other immensely.

"What are you thinking about?" Seeley asked, noticing the uneasy look in her eyes.

"My childhood. My life. How I ended up alone in Texas. How thankful I am for you and the Walkers helping me" Mia explained carefully, still digging deeper into her brain to find more answers.

"Your psychologist said not to try too hard or you could remember the parts you don't want to" Seeley explained, smiling at her "Let's get take out" he said hoping to distract Mia from her attempts at digging into her own brain. It was dangerous for her to keep digging. There was a reason why she couldn't remember certain events.

"I'm a psychologist too Seeley" She replied with a huff. She hated how he thought her psychologist was better because Dr Gordon was a psychologist and she was a criminal psychologist. "But food sounds good" she smiled back "Go order while I get out the shower"

Seeley quickly left to order their usual take-out order. At this point, he didn't even have to ask what she wanted. Seeley quickly ordered their usual meat feast pizza and a pad Thai, spring rolls and prawn toasts. Yes, it was a strange combination but they liked it. Meanwhile, Mia turned the shower off and stepped out into the steam. She grasped her towel from the towel rail. Even though she didn't live there Seeley always left her towel in the bathroom and the guest bed made for her. She quickly dried herself off and pulled on her yoga pants and her favourite Jurassic Park sweatshirt.

Once she was ready she walked out of the bathroom and down the stairs to the living room. As she approached the room she could hear Seeley on the phone. For a second she debated on listening in to find out who he was talking to but that would be an invasion of his privacy and she trusted him. If it was important he would tell her.

She walked into the kitchen to give him some more time on his call, getting herself and Seeley a beer and pouring them a glass of Pepsi Max each before wandering back into the living room. She settled herself on the couch where Seeley was already sitting and tucked her feet under her bottom.

Carefully, she reached across for the TV remote which was on Seeley's half of the couch but he was still on the phone to the mystery person. She pulled it closer to her before silently selecting Netflix on the flat-screen TV and pulling a blanket over herself. Storms always made her feel cold even if it was a really warm day. As she finally got comfortable Seeley finished his phone conversation.

"It was work" he said, reading her mind instantly. She was used to it now. She'd been coming over to Seeley's house for the past 5 years every time she wanted to not be alone. She was used to the FBI calling and Seeley dropping everything and going wherever they needed him. She would stay at her apartment alone or use her keys to stay at Seeley's. In that way, her life had not changed that much from the parts of her childhood she could remember.

"When?" she whispered it was the only word she could manage to say. This time it felt different like the storm outside had made it indoors and was pulling at Mia.

"Tomorrow night" he replied, debating on hugging her but deciding from the look on her face not to. Then the doorbell rang. Her heart raced. Booth walked to the door. It was the take-out. They both knew that.