"I-I am Harsh. Harsh Bhaskar, an employee at Kiran and Co. in Dehradun." He introduced himself. I nodded my head and asked him to continue as I simultaneously scratched my brain to identify the man.

"Have we ever met?" I ask him. "Or are you here with some kind of business proposals?" I ask him. It was already at the tip of my tongue to reprimand him about my personal space and time, but I decided against it.

Harsh, as he introduced himself to be, shook his head in denial. Probably to both of my questions.

"I am not here for any kind of proposals. I-" He paused again. "Is their a place I can put the baby at before I start speaking?" He asked him. My eyes lingered at the sleeping little human in his arms. She looked oddly familiar as she was at peace in his arms.

"Sure. Please follow me to the waiting area." I signaled Wahaj that I'll be taking the man into the palace, with me. As much as I wanted to trust him, I couldn't let him deep into the palace. He'll have to do with the waiting area for now.

As I pushed the door to waiting area open, I stood patiently beside the man as he put the sleeping baby down on the couch and covered, her, with his blazer.

He took a seat beside her and silently gestured me to do so.

He put a hand into his pocket before he took out a dainty looking chain and forwarded it to me while expectations burned in his eyes.

I forwarded my hands and took the chain with my eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

My eyes widened at the familiar chain and the very familiar locket dangling to the chain. I looked back and forth between the jewellery in my hands and the man, gazing at him to explain how he has it.

"Do you recognise this?" He asked me. I nodded my head as I took a huge gulp.

This jewellery was related to the chapter of my life I had intended to bury in my past and never re-encounter.

"How- how do you have this?" I asked him. My voice was hoarser than usual as I looked at the dangling locket.

"Her mother gave it to me." He signaled towards the baby.

She was her baby. Samaira's child.

"Samaira Sharma was my neighbour for the past three years. She shifted when she was six months pregnant." He told me.

The mathematics led to only one man. Me.

Three years back, Samaira was with me. Given that she shifted when she was six months along meant this baby was... Mine. Fuck.

"Samaira was detected with breast cancer, stage three, 15 months back. She told me about Aru's father. You." He informed me.

"Where's she?" I ask him. I was at the brink of losing my calm from all the information being provided. My heart beat in my ears making it difficult to hear Harsh.

"She's no more." His eyes held warmth and empathy for me. No ulterior motives. No romantic feelings for Samaira.

"Aaru have been with me for the past... 42 days." He paused again.

"Samaira had been on her own throught this period. She finally decided to call her parents when the doctors gave her the ultimatum but she didn't want them to know about Aaru. Instead, she wanted me to bring Aaru to you." He said.

"I have been trying to meet you for the past month. Your schedule is full of activities and I have not been able to get past the reception in your office. Security in the palace had been too tight to contact you. I guess, they finally pitied me today." He shrugged.

"I don't know what Samaira would have told you but she left her diary with me. And also, your baby. I just wanted these things to get to you before... Before the Sharmas get to know about Aaru."

"You can always conduct a paternity test if you don't trust me. There are photos in the diary too. I can understand if it's difficult to trust me." He chewed on his bottom lips as I remained silent.

"It's not like I want to get rid of Aaru or something... It's just that... It has been a long month for the child. She has not been sleeping really well and I am a bit tight on finances too. I just want her to stay warm and away from hunger. Can you.. can you..." He hesitated to ask me.

Can you trust me and keep her? Can I trust you to keep her safe?
Is what he wanted to ask.

I nodded, involuntarily.

"What's her name?" A whisper left me.

"Aarohi."

The plot taking the first turn over here

Pardon me for all the possible grammatical errors. I am not in my best state of writing right now.

Don't forget to vote and comment!