Chapter 7

XxXxX

Being giddy wasn't something that Professor Glynda Goodwitch felt often. Or at all, really.

In between her work as a deputy Headmistress of the prestigious Beacon Academy and the combat instructor for all of the school population she didn't have that much time to herself.

To anyone looking from the outside she would probably come off as a workaholic, ever working or pushing everyone else to work.

She didn't care about that though.

Too many times she had to inform the parents of a misfortune meeting their children on a mission or even training. In the best situations the student in question wouldn't be able to continue on their path to becoming a Huntsman or Huntress because of injuries or being crippled.

More often than not however it ended with death.

Death that sometimes could be avoided if there was more work done, more training or studying.

If she was going to be seen as an authoritarian bitch by her students then so be it. Their safety, life and well-being were more important than the fact that she was feared by the student body.

With the steady click-clacking of her heels she turned a corner, the door to the training hall coming into sight.

Even from this distance she could hear the excited voices of the students that couldn't wait for their first sparring session.

The first three lessons were as important if not more but to her chagrin most of the students didn't even listen, thinking that she didn't see it.

Somehow, the instructions about personal safety and proper sparring practices were deemed by the future huntsmen as unimportant. Her only solace was that the more promising students paid rapt attention.

Especially the main cause of her good mood, one Jaune Arc. The young man was as intriguing as he was paradoxical.

And possibly a target for her own little, itty-bitty hobby that nobody had any interest in knowing about.

From one side he wielded a powerful Semblance couples with seemingly unending amounts of Aura and from the other he barely had any combat training.

The former seemed to intrigue even Ozpin, judging from his reaction and the fact that he ordered Qrow to stealthily shadow mister Arc.

The latter was what really brought the young man to her attention, even before the initiation.

Preliminary tests to the Beacon Academy's Huntsman course were normally done in the preparatory schools, like for all of the four Academies. It was a standardized examination performed at the end of the education at the said preparatory school in which the potential huntsman in training could prove himself ( or herself ) enough to continue on with the chosen occupation.

It was quite rare for someone not attending any such schools to apply for Beacon but there were ways to do it, and she was the one that had to sift through the applicants.

Not many people applied in this way this year, only two managing to pass.

One was a faunus girl by the name of Blake Belladonna, totally not related to the chieftain of Menagerie island and totally a human girl that just felt a compulsory need to wear an oversized bow that magically twitches by itself from time to time…

The second one was Jaune Arc, who admittedly surprised her greatly.

When an applicant shows up for a combat aptitude test without a weapon, eleven times out of ten, it means that he doesn't even know what he's doing.