xv. parent's day

There must be somebody on this earth that enjoys funerals. Probably just Wednesday Addams and the people who get paid to do them, I think. For the most part, everybody hates funerals. They're all directed to different people, but they're all the same. It's always a gathering of human beings being polite towards the family of a person that they barely knew. A gathering of mannequins dressed in black pronouncing words just for the sake of saying something. A gathering of a lingering memento mori: the reminder you must die. We will all die.

Janlen Dugray's funeral was no exception. It was a gathering of family, friends and strangers listening to a preacher that didn't know the wonderful person that Janlen was. He was a wonderful husband, always buying flowers for Dorothea to keep their love alive in the name of symbolism, he was always there for her with no hesitation whatsoever, taking the vows to its extreme. He was a wonderful grandfather, always calling to check up on his little boy, making sure he had someone to talk to, teaching him every kind of love. He was a wonderful friend, joyful but serious, dreamful but real.

For the half an hour that Emma got the privilege of talking to him, she was mesmerized by so much wonder in a single man's soul.

Richard and Emily made an appearance at the funeral. Emma didn't. When the grandparents took their turn at sharing their condolences with the family, they made sure to acknowledge Tristan, which many people didn't.

"We are profoundly sorry for your loss. We know how much he means to you." Emily looked into Tristan's eyes.

"If you need anything don't hesitate on calling, alright?" Richard placed his hand on Tristan's shoulder.

"Yes, sir." He spoke while trying to look into his ex-girlfriend grandparent's eyes. Even if he needed anything, he knew he wouldn't call. However, it was nice hearing some genuine words in this dreadful evening.

✯✯✯

I haven's talked about Lorelai and Max's relationship much. It's been okay. It's been great, actually. But it also hit the 2 month mark.

"How are things with you and Max? He seems like a great guy." Sookie and Lorelai were talking in the kitchen.

"He is."

"That didn't sound convincing." Yes, it didn't.

"He is a great guy... for someone." Lorelai was gesturing her hand nervously.

"For someone? Someone else? Someone else who's not you, although you're the person he's dating?" Lorelai was nodding to every question. Sookie already knew what was going on. "Uh huh. How long you've been dating?"

"Why?" Lorelai sipped her coffee.

"Two months you've been seeing him, right?"

"What's your point, Sookie?"

"Nothing. Just right on schedule, that's all."

"I have no idea what you're talking about."

"This is the time where you start doing your getaway dance. 2 months. You're good."

"No, I don't. I don't dance my way out a relationship. I just think things aren't working out."

"Yes, you do. You 'cha-cha-cha' the commitment away."

"No, I don't."

"Yes, you do."

"No, I don't."

Sookie placed her mug on the table.

"Then tell me. What's the reason this time?"

"Rory and Emma are starting to get attached. It's their teacher, for God's sake."