xiv. sorrows

It's been a long week. Everyday at school Emma walks around miserable and so does Tristan. They ignore each other's gazes. They ignore the staring crowd. Everybody knows about the fire hazard of their bond. I'm probably making this more dramatic than it actually is.

However, it's due to the misery that Emma accepted the invite to Madeline's party on Saturday. Rory convinced her that she needed some distraction, some dose of serotonin and a new experience. That meant a lot. Rory was terrified of parties and socializing, but she was also terrified of her sister's shattered heart. Emma accepted, reluctantly. It seemed like the most logical decision to be a teenager and party the pain away.

Rory was wearing a dark red dress and Emma was wearing a dark grey pant-vest set.

"Hi, Paris." Rory says and the girl turned around full of surprise.

"What are you doing here?"

"Watching birds procreate." Emma answered knowing the question wasn't for her.

"I don't understand why you're here. It's the same kids at school but in normal clothes and moving weirdly to even weirder music."

"So why are you here?" Rory asked.

"Mother says I have to socialize. At least, I only have to be here until 9pm." Paris looks at her watch. "47 minutes."

"Where can I get a drink?" It was Rory again.

"Follow me, keep up the pace, I won't repeat this."

Rory followed Paris and Emma stayed behind. She wanted to walk around a little. However, she regretted it immediately. Emma went through some curtains and saw Summer with her arms around Tristan's neck. They were too close. Summer was too happy. They were about to kiss. Their lips were touching. Emma ran away, stole some kid's cup and drank her sorrows away. It was a very impulsive decision.

"What's in this?" She asks with the kids cup in her hand.

"Vodka soda."

Emma saw Rory and Paris talking at the drinks table. She wasn't going to disturb her sister, so she sipped her cup silently in a corner. It got empty pretty soon. She went for a refill and Rory got worried when she saw her sister pouring something into her cup and taking the bottle.

"Is everything okay?"

"Yes. Everything. Incredible." And disappears into the crowd.

I don't have to say that she got drunk. It was expected.

Emma danced like nobody was watching, even though everybody was. A few guys approached her and she declined all of them with the same words: "Do you have a rebound?" None of them understood and thought she was crazy and stayed away. Emma sounded in fact crazy. It was the sound of a broken heart.

"Emma. You came!" Madeline exclaimed.

"I guess I did."

"I'm so happy you're here." Madeline hugged her.

"Can I just say how hot you look?" Louise came out of nowhere. I mean, Emma didn't see her coming.

"Thank you. You're really hot too. I would totally kiss you right now."

"Really?" Louise smiled.

"I think I'm a little tipsy, but I've always found you hot. Girls are hot."

"You like girls?"

"Yes. I wish it was only girls. Men are pigs." Emma took a sip of her empty cup. "I have to refill this."

"Maybe you've had enough." Louise holds her back.