viii. physical touch

Emma rang the doorbell.

"Oh. Hello, dear." Emily opened the door. It was the first time they were alone since the tool shed incident.

"Hi, grandma." Emma gives her grandma a hug. It was very needed.

"Come in, come in." Emily closes the door. "How did you get here? Is everything alright?"

"I took the bus. And everything is alright, grandma."

"Have you had breakfast? Do you want anything?"

"I ate, but thank you." She invites Emily to sit down in her own couch. "I need to tell you something."

"Oh God, tell me you're not pregnant!" It was as if Emily had war-flashbacks in her eyes.

"No, no. I just... need to ask for a favour?" Emily was about to open her mouth again but her granddaughter stopped her before the thoughts transformed into words. "It's not money. It's... I won't be able to come for this Friday night dinner. And neither Rory and mom."

"Oh. That's okay, honey. I thought it was a matter of life or death. You're leg won't stop shaking, calm down." Emily's smile and touch made Emma breathe again. "Can I ask why neither of you are coming?"

"We have a concert."

"That's totally fine-"

"There's more." The grandma pays very close attention to every movement, every word of the granddaughter. Emma's anxiety wasn't subtle. "It's my concert. My band is going to be playing in a small venue. It's a big opportunity for us. We're just starting out."

"You're in a band?"

"Yes. We're called 'Oblivion'."

"Where's the show?"

"Not far from here. It's in Hartford."

"What time will it start?"

"Around 8pm, I think."

"Great. I'll ask your mother the location and expect me and your grandpa to be there."

"You don't have to."

"Yes, I do. I won't lie, I was surprised, but I'm going to support you no matter what. I did that mistake before, I won't do it again."

"Thank you, thank you, thank you." This hug between the two of them was way more meaningful than the first one. This hug was full of love and gratitude.

Emma looked at her watch. It was 10am.

"Grandma, I need to get going. Thank you, again."

"I'll walk you to the door." That's what she does. "Do you want me to call you a cab?"

"No, there's no need. A friend is picking me up."

"A friend?" Emily opened the front door for her granddaughter to leave and she saw a Porsche in her driveway. Emily walks up to the car. "Who are you and where are you taking my granddaughter?" She had a severe and protective look on her face.

"Good afternoon, Mrs. Gilmore. It's very nice to see you." Tristan gets out of the car to greet Emily.

"Tristan Dugray! How's your grandmother? She missed the last DAR meeting?" Emily started smiling again.

"Great. She started another renovation in her house. The kitchen is this time's victim. That's probably why she didn't attend the meeting."

"I didn't know. I must go there and have a look."

"Yes, ma'am."

"Grandma, we really have to get going. Thank you so much for everything."

"Of course. And have fun!"