ix. to define is to limit

Defining something, someone or even ourselves is definitely a useless action. Only words have definitions and even that can lead to interpretation.

Defining something, someone or even ourselves is a flawed gateway to find an answer, to understand. Most of the time, it is just untruth words glued together to make sense of the confusion inside our minds. For example, I define myself as a shy human being but I am so much more than that. We are so much more than a label, a personality quiz from Buzzfeed with questions like 'what's your favorite color?'. Why does my favorite color define me? How does it define the depths of my soul? It doesn't. We are not 2 dimensional character with one flaw, one quality and one hobby. We are complex beings with many flaws, many qualities and many opportunities and goals to fail and fulfill in our lifetimes.

Lorelai is not just a rebel teenage mother with an amazing sense of humor. Luke is not just a tall version of the grumpy dwarf with a baseball cap. Max is not just a high school English teacher with a love for Proust. Emily is not just a strict mother who lost her daughter with an incredible fashion sense. Richard is not just an old guy in the insurance business with a golf club. Rory is not just a clone of a smart girl with outshining words. Paris is not just some mean girl with an addiction to perfectionism. Lane is not just a secretive christian korean girl with a drum kit. Tristan is not jut a rich white boy with a pretty smile. Emma is not just some clone of a smart girl with a pretty voice.
They're people.

'To define is o limit.'
Oscar Wilde was so right about that one.

You want to know who loves Oscar Wilde? Emma. It's one of her favorite authors if not her number one.
You want to know who also loves him? Tristan.

For a change, Emma was the one to approach Tristan at his locker.

"Hi."

"Hi."

"Are we still up for this afternoon?" She tries to confirm their date.

"Yes, of course." He confirms it with a dirty look and leans into her. "I mean, if you want to do something else..."

She roses up and, as she was about to give him the bad news of rejection, she recognized something inside his locker.

"Is that 'The Picture of Dorian Gray'?" Emma asked and Tristan felt as if he was being caught.

"Yes..." He spoke closing his locker.

"Are you reading it? Why didn't you tell me? Are you liking it? On what page are you on? Do you even read?"

"Slow down a little." He paused. "Yes, I read."

"It's one of my favorite books, you know?!"

"Yes, I know." She was confused. Emma had never mentioned it before. "You have this quote written in your dossier. 'To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.' I memorized it, googled it and bought the book. This was like 2 weeks after you came in to Chilton. My goal was to read it and find a way to impress you, but I guess I didn't need it."

"You read a book for me?" He nodded. "Before we even started dating?" He nodded again. "That is the most romantic thing someone ever did for me."

He melted her heart. She let her body melt into his for a few seconds before the bell rang.

✯✯✯