Chapter Twenty-Three

"I hear the old Pierson place finally sold," Mr. Warner said the next day, returning from a trip into town for supplies.

"It did?" Allie walked to the parlor from the kitchen where she was drying the supper dishes. "Recently?"

"Just this morning," he said.

"Who bought it?"

"That I don't know, but I'm sure if they move in any time soon, you'll get to meet them."

"There's a lot of work that needs to be done on that house before anyone could possibly move in," she said. "Oh, I hope they don't tear the house down. It just needs some fixing up and it would be so beautiful again."

"Well, I guess we'll see soon enough," he replied, picking up his newspaper.

Allie finished putting the dishes away before wandering outside. She was halfway sitting on the porch railing when she heard footsteps behind her and Lucas walked over.

"What's wrong?" he asked.

"Why do you think something's wrong?" she asked.

"Because you look sad."

"Pa says someone bought the old Pierson place this morning," she sighed.

"Really? That's weird, since we were just talking about that last night," he said.

"I know!"

"So, that makes you sad?"

"I just....I guess I was more attached to that place than I realized," she said. "I think it would break my heart if they tear the house down, but I guess I can't stop them if that's what they want to do."

"I'm sorry. You said you liked it, but I didn't realize how much." He wrapped his arms around her shoulders.

" I guess I had myself convinced that it would just sit there, empty, for all of eternity."

He chuckled. "Maybe they'll fix it up and paint it your favorite color."

"I like the way they had it when the Piersons were living there. Do you remember how they had the siding painted a blue color and then had those stained wood shingles up at the top under the eaves,"

"Well, I'm sure there will be other blue houses with wooden shingles,"

"I suppose so." she let out another long breath and then turned to look at him as he finally released her. "What are you doing here so late?"

"I just finished my chores and saw that it was still light out, so I thought I'd stop by and say hi. I don't know how much I'll be able to stop by for the rest of the summer. I promised Pa I'd help him clear another fifty acres out back behind the west field, so I'm going to be working quite a bit."

She nodded.

"I'll come over whenever and as often as I can," he promised.

"I know," she smiled.

"Can you walk me to the road?" he asked.

"Sure." She followed him down the porch steps and wasn't surprised when he reached over for her hand. "What on earth does your father need another fifty acres for?"

He laughed softly. "I think he wants to experiment with some different crops or something. But he doesn't want to cut down on the ones he already grows every year."

"I see."

"Arthur is going to propose to Susan," he said.

"What!?" she stopped suddenly to stare at him. "How do you know?"