Chapter Seventeen

Allie went up to her room. She'd left the letter on her dresser and she walked over and picked it up. Sitting on the edge of her bed, she stared down at it for a moment before turning the envelope over and opening the seal.

'Dearest Allie,'  she read. 'I hope you are doing well when this letter finds you. I enjoyed our visit yesterday so very much and can't wait for our next chat. You've mentioned to me several times in passing, now, that you don't think you're very attractive, but may I just tell you, my dear, you are a great beauty. You have a lovely, kind heart. A gentle and soft personality. And outer beauty that would make angels sing. I hope you know that God made you exactly how He wanted you to be and I hope you never wish to be tall and blonde again. You are exquisite, just the way you are, and some day, some knight in shining armor is going to see that beauty in you and sweep you off your feet. Most lovingly, Helen Lynch'

Of course, by the time she reached the end of the letter, she was sobbing hysterically and threw herself into her pillow, eventually falling asleep for the rest of the night.

"Hi Susan," Allie said when her friend answered the door.

"Allie! Hi. How are you? I'm so sorry about Mrs. Lynch."

"Thank you." She sighed. "I don't suppose you could go for a walk?"

"I wish I could, but I promised Arthur I'd help him and Mr. Dillan go through all of Mrs. Lynch's belongings. They have to clean the house out to be able to sell it."

"Oh. That's nice of you to help them. She certainly owned a lot of stuff."

"You could come along." Susan said. "I'm sure they could use the extra help."

"Oh, I don't know-," Allie started to make up an excuse. She wasn't sure she wanted to be inside Mrs. Lynch's house again so soon after losing her.

"Don't be ridiculous! Ma, I'll be home later." She called over her shoulder as she stepped out onto the porch and closed the door behind her.

And with that, Susan grabbed Allie by the arm and pulled her along down the street until they reached the house.

The Dillans' wagon was parked out front and had already been loaded up with several large furniture items.

"Susan, I don't know if I can go inside," she said, stopping at the bottom of the porch steps.

"Sure you can," Susan said. "But I'll give you a minute. I'll be inside."

Allie walked around the small flower garden the woman had grown in her front yard. She picked off the dead blooms from some of the flowers, hoping that perhaps they would stay in bloom just a little longer.

Glancing over her shoulder, she stared at the front door. There was no reason why she couldn't go inside, it just felt....strange.

Walking slowly up the front steps, she reached for the front door, only to be startled when it opened before she could touch it.

"Ah, Miss Warner!" It was Arthur and he had an armful of magazines. "Do come in!"

"Thank you," She smiled. Stepping inside, she looked around. The front room looked completely different now that the furniture was gone.

She walked around the house, looking at all the pictures on the walls and little decorations on the shelves. She was going to miss spending time in this house.

In the parlor, she noticed the piano in the corner. She walked over, brushing her hand over the keys before sitting on the stool. Music sheets for Mrs. Lynch's favorite song were on the music stand and she placed her fingers on the keys, playing softly for several minutes before she realized that everyone else in the house had come into the room and were standing near the door, listening to her play.