Oh, I Know What This Means

When Grian went back out to the main room and saw Bdubs still waiting, he couldn't help but feel an overwhelming guilt. Bdubs probably had no idea what was going on. Grian had to shake the thoughts out of his head, wanting to complete Scar's favours.

"Any news?" Bdubs asked, standing up from where he was and approaching Grian.

"Uhm- no," he lied, not sure if he should say anything. "But I do have something for you." Bdubs tilted his head with curiosity and Grian put out his hand that was holding the pocket watch. "Scar told me to give this to you, and that you can feel free to regift it to someone who you think deserves it." He placed the watch in Bdubs hand, giving him an awkward, crooked smile.

Bdubs face dropped suddenly, his jaw dropped slightly and his eyes started to become glossy with tears. "Oh," he said quietly, his throat feeling like it was closing up as he sobbed. "I know what this means." Bdubs sniffled, putting the pocket watch to his chest near where his heart was. "I appreciate you trying to let me down easy or protect me from the truth, but I think Scar knew what he was doing giving this to me."

"What do you mean?"

"When I gave it to him, he told me he'd cherish it till the day he died. I knew he'd keep that promise, that's the kind of guy he is." His voice was still broken with sobs and the occasional moment he took to wipe his face with his sleeve. "I don't think I could handle seeing him again, as much as I'd love to. So if you could, tell him that I'll miss him, more than he'll ever know." Grian nodded, about to walk back to the room before Bdubs suddenly said his name. "Grian!" he called out, making Grian stop in his tracks. Bdubs walked up to Grian with a bittersweet smile on his face. "I'd also like you to have this," he said, putting out the pocket watch towards him. "You're the one that deserves it."

Grian almost gasped at the gesture. "No, I couldn't possibly take it."

"I insist. I think Scar would like you to keep it."

Now Grian was tearing up even more than before. "Thank you," he said, taking the pocket watch. He threw himself into a hug with Bdubs. "You're too kind."

Bdubs nodded. "It's the least I can do. But, you should go back to Scar. I'm sure he's waiting for you."

They released from the hug and Grian nodded, walking back with the pocket watch in his hands. He went back into the room, seeing Scar was in fact waiting for him. Scar gave him a slightly puzzled look. "Could you not find him?" Scar asked as Grian sat down next to him on the bed.

"I did find Bdubs, and I gave him the pocket watch. He said I should have it, so I accepted. He told me to tell you that he'd miss you lots;'more than he'll ever know' were his exact words I believe."

Scar nodded matter-of-factly. "Are you ready for the second favour?" he asked, his voice still so calm. Grian nodded, so Scar continued. "Please stay with me."

"What?" Grian asked, raising a confused eyebrow. "I was planning to stay here. I'm not leaving you again, Scar."

"Then, could I get a kiss? One last time?"

Without hesitation, Grian rushed up to Scar, wrapping his arms around Scar's neck and planting a kiss on his lips once again. It was one with passion, a melancholy ending. Grian just couldn't get himself to stop crying, stop feeling like it couldn't be real. Scar couldn't be dying.

The feeling of getting to be with Scar for even a little longer was so overwhelmingly pleasant for Grian, and Scar felt the feeling mutually. Scar didn't want to have to accept his death so quickly, but he did it for Grian, and that was all that mattered to him. When released from the kiss, Scar put his hands up to Grian's face, wiping away his tears and placing one last kiss on his forehead.

"Don't worry," Scar said quietly, though it wouldn't stop Grian from doing so. "I hope to see you again someday on the other side, whatever or wherever that may be. Or maybe I'll see you in another life, where things could be different."

"How can you be so sure?" Grian asked between his cries, looking Scar in the eyes, those gorgeous green eyes.

"It's just like you said... I'm not sure of anything. I never can be. But I'm sure that I love you, and I'm sure that I care for you. So, we'll start with that." He smiled, that trademark smile. It wasn't as fake as it usually was, it was such a genuine smile. Scar obviously wasn't thrilled about having to pass, but knowing that he had Grian with him in his last moments was the most reassuring thing for him.

Grian began to notice Scar's breathing pick up, and Scar reached for his stomach, groaning with pain. He didn't know what to do, or if there was anything he could do for Scar. "Scar? Scar! Please. Just hold on a little longer!" Grian wasn't sure those were really the right words. All he could seem to do was throw himself into a hug with Scar, grabbing onto him tightly.

"Thanks for everything." Scar's voice was a bit raspier, just a slight whisper. He was tossed back with Grian's hug, laid down and ready to accept his fate.

"Wait! No! Scar!" Grian shouted like there was nothing else that mattered, only Scar. "What was the last favour you needed?"

Scar's eyes began to flutter, daring to close. "Right, that third favour. Please promise me you'll move on. Find someone else that can cherish you as much as you need and want. I love you, so find someone that can love you more." He wrapped his arms around Grian, embracing him fully before his eyes came to a full close.

That evening, Scar died in Grian's arms, adored by many, but by Grian especially.

Grian knew with every one of his near-death experiences, the universe felt the need to mock him, but it stung even more as it took away his loved one the same day his goal was completed.

If only there was some medical solution, some wizard magic, or true love's kiss that could fix Scar, but there had been no hope for him since the day he saved Grian from drowning.

So, despite Scar passing on, with Grian holding onto him, sobs breaking out as if the world had no others...

Maybe it really was possible for war rivals such as the Mother Spore and the Mayor of the Shopping District to become lovers.

(word count: 1120 words)