CHAPTER 07

I watched the tranquil sea with unfocused and unblinking eyes. When I finally exhaled a deep shaky breath into the silence after what felt like an eternity, the realization of what I had just done sank in.

I just...I killed someone.

I killed someone.

Dropping to my knees, I clamped my hands over the edge of the boat before retching into the sea and coughing violently. Clinging onto the boat, I lowered my head to the wooden deck, trying to steady my breathing with deep, ragged breaths. I broke out into heavy sobs, heaving wildly, feeling as if I was losing my mind.

I'm sorry, I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry!

I clutched my head as my eyes frantically scanned the sea. For survival- I did it for survival. It happened on a whim, and I couldn't help myself... but I did it for our safety; our survival!

I repeated these words like a mantra before I eventually calmed down. I washed and rinsed my mouth hurriedly and collapsed next to Tavin's lifeless-looking body, feeling the coldness of his form. "T-Tavin," I whispered, tears threatening to come into my eyes once more but he didn't budge.

Oh my God, what happened to us?

He is alive, he is here, you are not alone, Candace. Tavin is here and he is alive.

I looked around, trying to find something to help him from getting cold. My eyes then zoned in on something floating on the water. Distracted, I leaned over and grabbed the wet paper from the water. My eyes widened as I recognized it to be a map of the Atlantic Ocean. However, the letters and shapes were all smudged and unreadable as water dripped onto my lap. Afraid that it would tear, I immediately laid it on the hull hoping that the sun would dry it out quickly. The map was disoriented, but I hoped I could make out even the slightest of directions that could lead me to the nearest land.

A small whimper drew my attention to Tavin, who was curled up on the doused deck, shivering uncontrollably like a soaked feline. Mentally chastising myself for forgetting to attend to him earlier, I tried to shake him awake. But he remained dead to the world, his irregular groans and shivers the only indication of his life.

His face was badly bruised, and his neck appeared to be suspiciously reddened, which caused me to fear the worst. He must have endured a lot while fighting against both George and Greg, who were significantly larger. George...No, I'll ask what happened after Tavin wakes up. But now, I need to get him patched up. The emergency first aid box we had in the boat didn't have much to offer, but made do with what was available; a pot of cream without a label on and some bandages that I used to wrap Tavin up. Hopefully, the cream wasn't a bluff.

As he was drenched from head to toe, his chesticles were on display through the white fabric of his shirt and his ash-blond hair was flattened against his glistening forehead. Wow, he really was handsome...I shook my head with a shudder to get rid of the unwanted thoughts to focus on the important task at hand. I had no choice but to take his clothes off him. I hovered my hand over the buttons on his shirt with my lip bitten reluctantly.

"I'm s-sorry, excuse me," I uttered to his unresponsive form and speedily unbuttoned his shirt, trying to keep my eyes from roaming his torso and formed, lean body.

Oh, God.

Don't look at that impressive body.

I squeezed the water out of his white shirt and spread it out on the boat next to the map, facing it to the intense sun to dry. After taking a deep breath, I quickly averted my gaze to his lower body before squeezing them shut with a tired groan.

I cannot...Ugh...I can't believe I'm going to do this.

It's okay, Candance, he saved your life, so this is the least you could do so he wouldn't catch a cold.