Chapter 11 | A New Arrangement

From the ruckus emanating from within the guest chambers of Fergus McLeod, one listening from outside in the hallway would scarcely believe the man had been gravely injured three days prior. Aili winced as she kept her ear pressed to the door, listening intently to the heated exchange between her father and lord MacDonald. Her emotions were a whirlwind. Relief that her father had pulled through flooded her. She had spent three days and nights tending to his wounds, coating his beard with her tears, and praying fervently. That relief she felt also mingled with shame for his current behavior. If Aili's mother were still alive, she would know exactly what to do or say to calm the raging Lord. She had been the epitome of grace and elegance. The complete opposite of Aili's father. Aili always wondered how the two had managed to fall in love. But there was no denying her parents had loved each other- and loved fiercely.
Aili continued to concentrate on deciphering the muttered yelling being exchanged by the battle worn men. The chamber door was made of thick, solid oak, which made her waves dropping all the more challenging. That's why she had not noticed when Ewan's presence. He smirked to himself at her appearance; half stooped, arse out, ear pinned against the door. Then, he began his silent approach in a manner resembling a wild cat stalking its prey.
"Why does mischief always seem to follow you," he whispered into her unoccupied ear. Aili jolted upright at the shock of Ewan's voice. His proximity threw her off her balance and she stumbled into his chest. He caught her, grabbing her waist with his warm hands. Once she had regained her balance his hands slid from her waist to his sides. She turned around to face him, her cheeks were flushed. He loved seeing the red bloom on her cheeks. She was so chaste; a rare unplucked flower in a garden brimming with weeds.
"Will you hush," Aili spit, interrupting his thoughts. The clamoring inside the chambers abruptly quieted down. A few moments later the latch of the door unlocked. As the door creaked open Ewan's father peered out at the two in the hall. He looked disappointed at them both for a moment, but then something sparkled in his eyes. He had a solution to their squabbles. He turned around, leaving the door open. It was an unspoken invitation for the pair to enter, and they both silently did.
"I think I have a solution that could prevent our alliance from crumbling, McLeod. I will renounce my eldest as heir to castle Macdonald. My son Ewan is capable and brave. He led the charge that saved your life and protected your daughter from harm. He brought you both safely to MacDonald castle. He would make an excellent husband and Laird. Betroth your daughter to my son Ewan instead. The wedding can continue as planned."
Aili's eyes widened and she looked up at Ewan. His face was unreadable. Aili turned her attention to her father, who laid under a thick layer of fur in his sick bed. He mused the new proposal over. Then, reluctantly nodded his head. "I agree to your terms, Macdonald, as long as you promise me your men to attack the bandits who stole my daughter's dowry. It was an act of war- and I expect you to answer the call." Laird Macdonald stretched out his hand and the two lairds shook on it. Without a word or warning Ewan rushed out of the room. As the door clang shut, something in Aili's heart splintered. Her fate was sealed. The eldest son of Laird MacDonald who had disappeared before their wedding, was no longer her betrothed. Instead, she would marry the youngest brother. Ewan. "I will let you rest, father," she quietly murmured after mustering up the courage to break her silence. She dipped into a polite but brief curtsy and softly made her exit.