Biriyani Night (Part 1)

"Piya tose naina laage re..."

Jonita Gandhi's melodious voice echoed through Kajal's bedroom as she frantically tried to get her winged liner right.

"Damn it, who's calling now? I'm already late as it is", she grumbled.

But her frustration melted away when she saw the caller's name flashing across her phone screen, her frown replaced by a smile.

"Hey, Charu. What's up?", she asked happily, putting the call on speaker.

Charu replied, " I know you're probably getting late for work, so I won't take up much time. Just wanted to ask if you're free tonight?"

Kajal said, " I'll clock out at five. Why?"

"I bought Basmati rice when I went grocery shopping yesterday and was thinking about making Mutton Biriyani for dinner tonight. Want to swing by for a bite? Today's Saturday, and I know you don't work Sundays, so maybe you could stay the night, we could drink wine after dinner, watch movies and stuff", Charu said in a single breath, anxiety apparent in her voice.

Kajal drooled at the thought of Charu's home-made Biriyani. Her girlfriend was a computer engineer by profession, and a chef by passion. She often invited her over to try out new dishes, and Kajal, being the foodie that she was, was more than happy to oblige. Somehow, she always nailed every recipe she tried out.

"Damn, slow down baby. Are you trying to lure me to come over with Biriyani?", Kajal laughed, as she tied her hair up in a bun.

"Is it working? I know what that mess food tastes like. Won't Biriyani be a nice change?", Charu cajoled.

It was true. The mess food tasted absolutely horrible. The rubbery chapatis and watery dal the mess offered was worse than prison food.

"Fine. I'll come", Kajal gave in.

"Oh good. I've really missed you. We haven't met since last month", Charu confessed.

" I'm sorry love, I've been busy with that online hospitality management course I was talking about, so that I can finally apply for a managerial position in a nice hotel. I just don't want to be the receptionist of The Onesie Motel anymore." Kajal sighed," I can't even tell people where I work without them laughing their heads off".

The owners were probably going to name the shabby, little bed-and-breakfast The Oasis Motel, but the sign board maker messed up the spelling and nobody cared enough to fix it. That was one of the many theories the employees of The Onesie Motel had come up with to justify the odd name.

Charu pouted. "I know, I know. But I miss going out on dates with you".

"I'll make up to you today, I promise. I'll get the wine. Red or white?", Kajal asked.

"I still haven't opened the red wine Noel gave me for my birthday. So don't worry about the wine. I will pick you up at seven from your mess", said Charu.

Kajal put on her platform heels and grabbed her keys.

" You don't have to! I need to wax, like everywhere, I need some time for that. I'll catch an auto and be there by nine", said Kajal.

"I will pick you up at seven, that's non-negotiable. I don't know when we'll get to spend time together again like today. And don't bother waxing, a fearless adventurer like me isn't afraid to explore the densest of rainforests", Charu deadpanned.

Kajal burst into a fit of giggles. "Fine, I'll be ready by seven", she said, still chuckling at Charu's dorky joke.

"That's my girl. Bye, stay safe!"

"You too, love."

*************

The clock on Kajal's bedroom wall said it was only 6:30 pm.
Kajal clicked her tongue impatiently. She had already dressed up in a coral bodycon dress that she had bought on sale online and hadn't had the occasion to try it out until now. It hugged her curves in all the right places and made her feel confident. The fabric was a bit scratchy, but that would have to make do. She left her black beach curls open, and opted for just a bit of nude lipstick.

Suddenly, the doorbell rang. Kajal jumped up to open the door.

"Sorry, I got a little over-excited and came over early. Are you ready yet?", Charu asked, rubbing the back of her neck sheepishly.

Kajal grinned and gave her girlfriend a once over. She was wearing a bottle green turtle-neck and faded skinny jeans that flattered her long legs. Her hair was up in a high ponytail, and a stray lock of hair dangled over her left temple. Kajal reached up and tucked it behind her ear. Charu's face grew rosy.

"You aren't the only one who's excited. I'm ready. Let's go."

They went outside. The slight November chill made Kajal's skin tingle.

"Where's your scooty?", Kajal asked.

Charu snorted. "I got rid of it finally. It was so old, I had to take it to a scraps dealer. Even he didn't want it. So I kind of just left it there".

They both laughed. "Then how did you come here?", asked Kajal.

Charu patted the seat of the black Bajaj Pulsar that was parked beside her. Kajal's eyes widened.

" You got a motorbike? And you didn't tell me!", she squealed.

Charu laughed. " Surprise! It's a second-hand motorcycle, but it's in really good condition. Much better than that museum relic of a scooty, at least. Here's your helmet", she said, handing her a midnight blue Modular.

Kajal pouted. "But this will mess up my hair!", she whined.

"Wear. It.", Charu said sternly in a no-nonsense tone, wearing her own black full-face helmet.

"Fine", Kajal grumbled under her breath, while Charu secured the straps under her chin, smiling at her childishness.

Kajal got on the motorbike and wrapped her arms around Charu's waist securely.

"Let's go!"

*A/n: Kajal's ringtone! 👇

*Image credit: Pinterest*

*Please Vote and Comment if you like the story!*