CHAPTER - 13

INDALI'S P.O.V:-

It's been a few days since Gopi kaka and Ramesh kaka are trying their best to grant permission for the school but their isn't a flicker of hope.

"We talked to them Indu but I can't see all those Angrez changing their mind any time soon" Ramesh kaka said as I paced the length of the living room.

"What shall we do then?" Gopi kaka asked Ramesh kaka.

"Even I am clueless. I even extended an offer to pay them but they aren't even taking any offer of us into consideration." Ramesh kaka replied pensively.

"It's been days since we are trying. A little while ago we felt like we are moving but now we back at square one." Gopi kaka said as he slumped back on the chair.

Indeed. It's been days since we are trying. Trying our best to extract some result , any result that we can but the General is retiring and no one is ready to listen to us. And tomorrow is the when the general will finally retire. We don't even have the clue how the new general will be.

Villagers are against us , General and higher officials aren't listening to us. What can be more exciting now? I shooked my head and tried to focus. Today's evening is the only chance to convince the General. And I won't let it go just like that. No. I have to do something.

"Kaka fix a meeting with general this evening. I would like to meet him personally." I said as I stopped pacing. My back was facing them as I looked at the Tulsi plant , taking an oath within myself.

"Beta will-" before Gopi kaka can say something I interrupted "yes kaka I will do it. I will do my best."

They both went silent and I heard a shuffling sound as Gopi kaka collected all the registers and documents and placed it on the table and both left my residence. I took a deep breath. All I needed was space. To think all right and make a note of facts to convince the General who will be retiring soon.

********************************

After getting all ready for the meeting I came out my house instructing bulbul kaki to lock the doors and slip the key under the flower pot.

While I passed some women they snickered at me. But I gave no heeds to them and continued walking. Halfway I Met Gopi kaka and he was holding some files along with a big fat book?

"Kaka what is this?" I asked curiously.

"Oh!! Beta this is a dictionary. If the general tells you anything with his ornamental words I'll search for the meaning here and let you know." He said as he walked a bit fast to keep pace with me.

I laughed a little and replied ,"kaka it's alright I'll manage." And kaka smiled a little and we continued walking to the provincial office.

Half an hour has passed and the sun was still glaring down at us , we were waiting for the general to spare us some time so can talk to him. But it won't be we wrong if I say he actually don't want to meet us. After the insult that he had faced he will never meet me again let alone approving something. I was about to get up and ask Gopi kaka to get back home when suddenly a white man came all clad in his uniform , his chest adorned with various size and colour medals ,"Sir is asking for you Miss."

************************************

Tobacco. That was all I could smell in this room. General's cabin was well decorated. Books , paintings , a big desk in the middle and some animal skins. I sat infront of him and Gopi kaka did the same.

General was emerged in some paperwork and didn't even care to glance up. There was some frightening tranquility. I tried to keep myself composed.

"So, you finally came around? Only if you would have accepted what I was trying to convey back then. It's never late. You can sign the papers right away and-"