Chapter 6: The Note

I'm really not looking forward to going back to school today. Is it because I don't want to overhear everyone gossiping about how I almost got murdered by Ethan? Or is it just because I got three days to just sit around, and I'm not prepared for all the work that I have to do? It's probably a combination of both. But here I am, walking to school on this cloudy Friday morning. I've been healing alright. I've still got a black eye, a ton of bruises, and my wrist is still sore as hell. Oh well, I guess it's a good thing I'm not left-handed. I have a meeting with the principal during Lunch to discuss what happened, and after that, I'm hoping the rest of the day will go by smoothly.

I pull my hood over my head and lower my gaze as I enter the school, trying to not be noticed by too many people. Unfortunately, it doesn't work, as I can hear the other students' mumbling to each other throughout the hallway as I make my way to my locker. I can feel their stares on me and it makes me uncomfortable. I open my locker and stuff my backpack inside. A small envelope falls out onto the floor when I pull out my History textbook and notebook.

"Huh? What's this?" I say softly to myself, cautiously picking up the envelope. I flip it over and look at the back. There's no name written on either side. Weird. Is it some kind of cheesy "Get well soon" card, or one of Ethan's buddies sending me a threat? Either option wouldn't be a surprise in this case. I tear it open and pull out a note. The handwriting is a little messy and difficult to read, like whoever wrote it was in a hurry. I shut my locker and resume walking, my eyes focused on the note.

'You don't know me, but I hope you're okay. Ethan got what was coming for him, I made sure of it. This was a one-time thing, don't expect it again. Be careful out there.'

Okay, that's...kind of freaky. A one-time thing? My memory of that night is still a little blurred, but I vaguely remember a group of people standing around me. Not Ethan and the two guys, these were different people. This note must be from one of them. Does that mean they...did something to Ethan? I don't recognize the handwriting, and there's no name or initials written anywhere on the paper. I fold up the note and shove it into my pocket. It's too early for this, I'll worry about it later.

~

"Oh, hey, check it out. Ethan didn't kill him." Someone mutters, everyone's eyes locking onto me the moment I enter the classroom. I almost want to give some kind of snarky reply in return, but I decide against it. It's way too early for me to hold any sort of conversation. I take my seat.

Mika turns around in her seat and gives me a small smile, but the worry is evident in her eyes. "Nice to see you back. You holding up okay?" She asks softly.

"I've been better, but at least I'm still breathing." I keep my voice low. I don't need everyone else listening in on our conversation. I bite my lip, debating if I should tell her about the note. Obviously I trust her, but I don't know the identity of the person behind the note. What if they somehow find out that I snitched, and something...bad happens? Thankfully, the teacher enters the classroom, gaining everyone's attention.

~

After what seems like a century of waiting, the fourth period bell finally rings, signaling the start of my Lunch period. I weave my way through the crowds of students towards the principal's office, ignoring the curious stares and whispers sent in my direction. I wonder if they know the true story? Or if they're just spreading around some dumb rumors and a false narrative?

"Nico, good morning. It's nice to see you back." The principal greets me with a kind smile and gestures for me to sit down when I enter the office. "How are you feeling?"

"Some stuff's still healing, but I'm feeling alright otherwise." I say, hoping this won't take very long. I just want to hear that Ethan and the other two guys will get kicked out, and I'll never have to worry about that bastard again.