Chapter 5: Beaten

CONTENT WARNING: This chapter contains some use of homophobic language. Proceed with caution.

The pic is Ethan.

~

Ever since I got home, Tommy's words have kept repeating in my head. "You're cute. Who's to say I wouldn't like you too?" What the fuck is that supposed to mean? Did he just admit that he has a crush on me? Is he just playing around and messing with me? And not only that, but he's acting like it's not a big deal? He can't just say something like that and act so casual about it!

Is it possible that I'm just overthinking this?

It's almost five-thirty now, Dad's still at work, and I'm digging through the cabinets, trying to find something to eat. My phone starts ringing. I glance down, seeing that Mika's calling me. I wonder what's up? I answer the call, putting the device on speaker.

"Hey, what's up?"

"Hey, uh, are you still coming over?" She inquires. Come over? Why would I be coming over to her house?

"Huh?"

"You don't remember? We got that stupid presentation for English assigned last week, the one that's due this Wednesday. You texted me on Sunday and said you'd come over to my house after school today so we could finish it up." She explains. Ah, I remember now. Shit, that completely slipped my mind.

"Oh, fuck, right. It slipped my mind, my bad. I can head over now." I say. Have I really been that out of it all day?

"Yeah, sure. Hey, you doing okay? You've seemed really down all day." She asks.

"Uh...yeah, I'm fine. Woke up feeling sick, you know how it is." Not really a lie, but it's not the complete truth either. "I'll head over there now."

"Okay. See you in a bit." She doesn't sound too convinced by what I said.

Once the phone beeps, signaling that the call has ended, I slide it into my pocket. I send a quick text to Dad saying that I'm going to a friend's house, just so he knows where I'm at in case he gets home before me, and, quickly slipping my shoes on, head outside. Mika's house is only a few blocks from mine, so it's not that far of a walk.

It's cold outside this afternoon. The sky is cloudy and dark, the only sources of illumination being from the porch lights of my neighbors' houses or the occasional flash of headlights from a car passing by. I pull my hood over my head and shove my hands into my pockets. I quicken my pace, slightly worried that it's going to start raining again. I suddenly get the feeling that I'm being followed. I cautiously glance behind me, letting out a small sigh of relief when I see there's no one behind me.

"Chill out, Nico. Stop getting yourself so worked up over nothing. Everything's fine." I try to reassure myself. But no matter how many times I repeat that to myself, I can't shake the feeling that someone's watching me. As I'm getting close to the curb of the sidewalk, I spot three figures standing on the sidewalk of the opposite street. I don't think anything of it until they start walking towards me, and as the light falls on their faces, I feel my heart stop when I see who their leader is.

Ethan.

As he gets closer, I can make out the creepy smirk and death glare on his face. "What the hell are you doing?! Run!" I scream at myself internally. Mika's house isn't far, I just have to make a few more turns and I'll be safe. But no matter how hard I try, my legs won't move. It's like I've been superglued to the sidewalk. Even if I could run, Ethan's way faster than me, he'd catch me easily.

"Hey, Nick. Funny running into you here." Ethan greets me with a venomous tone that makes my blood run cold. The two other guys, who I've seen around school but don't know their names, stand back, leering at me as Ethan approaches. I feel like I'm going to pass out. Shit, why does this have to happen now?!