【叁】

[A/N: I would like to sincerely apologize in advance in case there are any historical/cultural inaccuracies in what I have written as I am not originally from Japan. This also applies to the previous and upcoming chapters.

I did do some research but errors may still persist. I'd be very glad to be educated on the subject if I were presented with the occasion!!

Thank you for your understanding.

I hope you enjoy x

— cherry 🍒]

— · —

As the darkness of the night deepened and the lights were turned off, you soundly fell asleep, all cuddled up in your lover's arms.

He quietly observed your features under the sheer moonlight as he felt a vague sense of determination starting to grow within himself. For way too long he had been hiding behind that mask and now, thanks to you, he was able to break through the invisible barrier that was holding him back from being true to his own feelings. He got a taste of what it was like to love and to be loved, and he wanted to pursue what had been started between you, to keep you close for the rest of eternity.

That night, he dreamed of you.

He dreamed of the two of you when you were younger, and where he had confessed his feelings for you. You chuckled as you gently pecked his cheek, making him smile of pure happiness.

Excited, he took your hand and lead you into the forest when, suddenly, the view cleared up as you saw a lake appear in front of you. A limpid body of water surrounded by mountains, the sunlight reflecting onto the ripples on its surface and wild flowers blooming all around you. It was one of his favorite spots, and he couldn't help but feel proud as he saw the amazement on your face. He picked up a flower from the field and gently placed it in your hair.

"...will you stay with me, forever?"

You nodded.

He took you into his arms and hugged you as tightly as he possibly could. Tears obstructed his vision and everything went blur besides from the euphoria that he felt in his heart. He was scared, so deeply afraid of losing you, but in that moment he was the happiest person on earth to have you by his side. He promised to himself that he would never let you go and that he would do everything to protect you, even if it meant to risk his own life.

— · —

A ray of rising sunlight traveled through the windows and reached your eyes, waking you up from the deep slumber that you fell into while he was holding you in his arms. The harsh and sudden brightness hurt your eyes, making you frown as you instinctively turned the other way, groaning and visibly displeased to start your day in such a manner.

"Good morning."

You rubbed your eyes as you slowly lifted your heavy eyelids. Hotaru was there, standing on the other side of the room as he smiled at you with fondness in his gaze.

"Morning..." you replied, noticing with surprise that he was all dressed up already, his long hair tied up into a half-bun. "Have you been awake for a long time?"

"A little while, yes."

"Oh... I must have slept like a baby, then..."

He had the habit of waking up before the sun was up on the horizon, and so he did. However, contrary to his ordinary routine, he spent a bit more time just laying there with you as he quietly watched you sleep, your chest slowly rising as you breathed peacefully.